Last minute hotel within 20 miles of Ingleton?

halkyn

Was booked in at the Marton Arms for tomorrow and Friday (a Travel Zoo voucher), but only heard an hour ago that it's closed down!!

So can anyone suggest a half decent hotel, cosy with bar, for two retired cavers with cameras, that's reasonably priced?

Short notice I know, but worth asking.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Try the Masons on the main road Ingleton.  That's the best pub in town but only three rooms I think.  Wheatsheaf has rooms too.  Lots to choose from in Kirkby,or try the Whoop Hall before you get there.  Then there is Settle too.

FYI - the new owners take over at the Martons on Thursday but I don't know when it reopens.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Too late for this visit I know, however the Pheasant, Casterton is good for food and great for gin  ;)

Looking forward to seeing the photos  ;)

Wardy

What has happened to caving is it a lost cause?
Not only are great cavers' pubs shutting down, but we are now starting to recommend others on the quality of the Gin!
where is the BCA (Beer and Caving Association) when you need them?

ZombieCake

I thought BCA was a wine related and slightly anarchic acronym: "Bacchic Cabernet Aperitif".  I duly stand corrected  ;)

Wardy

I didn't always make the beer link either.
I thought it was more of a whine related organisation, but was always optimistic and hoped the caving sub group had some influence.

Wardy

Adventure Underground is where it all started.
Proper tales of exploration with every success, breakthrough, setback or challenge always sorted by liquid reflection in pint form in the pub. The link is inextricable.
Then however Gin becomes involved and threatens to destabilise the whole thing - wherever will it end up, can daring do still continue with ice and tonic?

David Rose

I had a gin and tonic in the bar across the Melinau river after a four-day trip in Mulu earlier this week, and very nice it was too. Then the only beer on offer was canned Tiger, and that does get monotonous after a while.