Survex Display Issue

Tommy

Hi All,

Having some trouble getting Survex to display surveys.

It has worked absolutely fine previously on this laptop, I upgraded the RAM the other day which may be the issue (I haven't done a complete troubleshoot yet).

Nothing is displayed in the main view window, except it takes on the image of whatever window is behind it at time of opening, the attached screenshot shows a crop of VLC media player for example.

Has anybody come across this?

(Before anyone jokes about using win2000, it's 7 with the classic theme to save RAM, it's a 10 year old Dell Latitude that I'm keeping on life support).

Tommy

Attachments

• svxdisp.JPG
    svxdisp.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 330

Tommy

Yeah yeah, alright!

Still no luck with that file, I've tried a reinstall as well. Thanks.

It will display all the usual data of survey points in the bottom bar, it just isn't assembling them into something more visually descriptive!

I should correct myself and say it takes on the image of what is in FRONT of the Survex window during a change of window focus. These also stack up with each window change, rather than a refresh and just grabbing the most recent, if that makes sense. This could just be a distraction.

If I reduce the Survex window size and enlarge it it clears to grey again.

Hm... I'd rather not have to swap my RAM back just yet.  o_O

Tommy

aricooperdavis said:
You could test your RAM by sticking MemTest86 on a USB stick? Probably worth doing that to see if you need to swap your RAM back or look for other problems.

I had some sort of MemTest utility that ran on boot after I installed the sticks and nothing came up.

However I'll give it another go with that Ari, cheers.

I'd expect any RAM issues to have wider reaching effects. Everything else is fine (as can be for such an old machine), it's seemingly isolated to Survex.

I've had a brief look through the documentation to see what Survex utilises to generate the display to try and troubleshoot that if possible. No luck.

I'll try the RAM stuff then virtual machine, after exams now though.