Red Moss pot in the wet

TheBitterEnd

Does anybody know what Red Moss is like in the wet? I was thinking of having a trip there on Saturday but the forecast is looking a bit damp.

Beardy

Quote from northern caves

Liable to flooding, particularly in Old Entrance Series and near the downstream sump.

TheBitterEnd

Thanks, I guess the new entrance is a bit better? I also seem to recall there is a fallen block which I have passed in the past by going under close to the water. It could probably be climbed over but there are some new-comers on the trip so may be best avoided altogehter

Pitlamp

The two cascades in from the new entrance can take a fair amount of water; if you've got less experienced folk it's perhaps worth planning to rig these with tackle, as pitches. (I seem to remember at least one of them requires a long belay to a rock bridge or a flake, high in the passage.)

The above isn't intended to mean "yes it's safe" - the truth is I don't know. But I was down there last year a day or two after a wet spell and I was surprised by how much water was still going down the cascades, which makes me ponder on how wet they get during a rain event.