A weekend in the Dales, a couple of Yorkshires Classics.

chunky

With only Kay and I available for this weekend away I decided to head up to Yorkshire to introduce Kay to a couple of the Yorkshire classics.

As it was to be just the two of us we had a leisurely 9am start and arrived in Kingsdale at just before noon to a drizzle and mist in the air. We first popped in to Valley Entrance to to rig the exit pitch from Kingsdale Master Cave. I had intended to take a couple of photo's of the entrance series, but it has been a while since I was last there and I'd forgotten the larger passage wasn't until after the pitch and so tied the camera box to the rope with the intention of taking photo's at the end of the trip instead.

We returned to the van to grab the two bags of rope and SRT kits and headed up toward the entrance.....and when I say toward the entrance it was really in the vague direction as I wasn't quite sure exactly where it was!
Kay found a likely looking hole and I popped my head in to it and found a bolted pitch, but it just didn't feel quite right and was closer to the path than I recalled. After a further 5 minutes I was looking down a hole which I was almost certain was the entrance to Swinsto and so kitted up and headed in. As soon as I saw the first pitch I knew we were in the right place.
Soon we were splashing through the Swinsto long crawl to the head of the next pitch. All went as planned until Split pitch where the water was ferocious, far stronger than I'd seen it on my previous two visits. We abseiled down to the ledge where there was no respite from the deluge and struggled to pull down the rope which was being whipped and twisted and fighting against us. After ten minutes we finally won and gratefully continued our way out of the force of the waterfall and on to the next pitches. At Spout chamber again the water coming in was incredible and this time I remembered my point and click and took a bit of video. We finally made our way to the short pitch in to the connecting chamber and on to the linking crawl. I must admit as we made our way through I was wondering if the link ever sumps and was very relieved to see plenty of air space to exit.
As we headed down stream it was all we could do to keep our legs under us and as we reached the short pitch back to the valley entrance series there were waterfalls coming in from everywhere, it was truly spectacular. Where I had lowered the end of the rope on to a cobbled floor just a few hours before was now thigh deep. I grabbed the camera gear and expressed excitedly to Kay that I just had to try and get a photo.
5 minutes later the camera gear was good for nothing, but the shot had been taken and so we got out of the water and headed out.
As we changed we witnessed the Kingsdale Bore, something I had never seen happen before so we gawked at the dry riverbed filling for a bit before heading off to meet up with friends and a well deserved pint :)

P3010004.jpeg

A rather damp start to the day

P3020043.jpeg

Didn't get any better underground!

35947290536_ac91ce7092_k.jpg

Kingsdale Master Cave at the foot of the pitch

20046549_10154669868792231_4350650800961381003_n.jpg

The Kingsdale Bore

https://youtu.be/N-uaFi4oYKU
A damp day on the pitches

After a good nights sleep we headed to Inglesport for a full breakfast to start the day and also to pick up some club rope.
I had chosen a real classic for the days play, Alum Pot.
Kay wasn't over keen on doing any longer pitches and so we headed in with two full kit bags each plus my camera.
Unsure if it was the couple of pints the night before (I'm such a light weight!!!), or just a bit of dehydration but I was feeling quite rough for this one. I'd forgotten to take my sunglasses off and so although I looked a bit of a plonker, could hide my heavy lids behind them on the walk across.

We entered via Long Churn. Normally lugging kit doesn't bother me but my head was thudding away and obstacles that I normally skip over were causing me bother. I didn't even try to traverse around the pots and simply sploshed my way through.

We met an adventure group at the Cheese Press and I encouraged Kay to have a go, insisting that I'd made it through with a bit of help so she'd have no bother. After 5 minutes of grunting and squirming she eventually wriggled back out and....grinning....I admitted I'd never actually been through at all, but it was fun to watch her try :)

Dolly tubs was already roped so I decided to rig the alternative down to the balcony.

Here the sun rays were so impressive I completely forgot about my headache and grabbed for the camera.
After 10 minutes play we rigged down the greasy slab, across the traverse and down the bridge. The 45m was again already rigged so I continued along the traverse and rigged us down the 25m.

On the way to the sump we met up with some guys from Manchester Uni and chatted for a bit before heading down to the sump to recce for a future shot of the last pitch on Diccan before we headed back out.

At the entrance we dumped the kit and headed through Upper Long Churn to exit via Dr Banisters. I grabbed the kit bags and my sunglasses and headed back to the van. We bumped in to another couple of guys who were just exiting at the same time. If you read this chaps my apologies for not being my usual chirpy self, I was feeling right rough!!!

Job done all that was left was my 4 hr journey home, hampered by a brake down just in front of us as we were about get on the M6!

35599981500_c5a5a5b7fd_k.jpg

The balcony view in to Alum Pot

20229135_10154669868132231_727919473592866372_n.jpg

The balcony view in to Alum Pot

35947256496_0a25997287_k.jpg

The Greasy Slab

20046430_10154669868957231_2010629728325029881_n.jpg

Alum sump area at the foot of Diccan Pot

20024093_10154669869192231_5293616973600006353_o.jpg

The steps en route back from Upper Long Churn

MarkS

Fulk said:
I have some video of the flood pulse, but have no idea how to post it; can anyone help?

The easiest way is probably to upload it to youtube and then just link to it from here.

chunky

Wow thanks for the comments guys.

Very glad the water levels weren't like that Fulk! As MarkS says easiest way I've found is to pop it on youtube and link from there.

Alastairgott don't forget if you need stuff for freshers let me know.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MarkS

We watched the Kingsdale bore on Saturday as we headed up to Simpson Pot. An impressive sight, especially from part way up the side of the valley.