A Golden Age of Cave Exploration - December 2017

Rob

Celebrating 50 Years of British Cave Exploration & Cave Science at Home and Abroad

British speleologists have probably explored more cave passage and done more cave science than any other nation. Held at the Royal Geographical Society in London (SW7 2AR), this weekend will celebrate the results under a number of different titles and include the latest exploration and research undertaken by British cavers.

Friday 1st December 2017 19:00 - 22:00
======================================
Frank Pearson - UK Caves
Dick Willis - British International Caving
Howard Limbert - Vietnam
Gina Mosely - British Cave Science

Sat 2nd & Sun 3rd December All Day
======================================
An outstanding collection of 15-20 minute lectures covering British exploration at home and abroad, cave science, photography and media. Including guest lectures by British born cavers, including Hazel Barton and her extra-terrestrial cave bacteria!!!

Book Online at:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/the-british-caving-association-chair-andy-eavis-14451940360

Follow on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/840182459484429

By The British Caving Association

Big Jim

rhychydwr1 said:
Looks expensive and difficult to get to.

Have I missed something? Looks like ?10 for one of the days and ?5 for the other two days. 3 days  = 20 quid. Not sure how that can be considered expensive for 3 days of lectures.... :-\

rhychydwr1

Big Jim said:
rhychydwr1 said:
Looks expensive and difficult to get to.

Have I missed something? Looks like ?10 for one of the days and ?5 for the other two days. 3 days  = 20 quid. Not sure how that can be considered expensive for 3 days of lectures.... :-\

I went to the cinema today.  It only cost ?3.50 and it was in the next village.

Jack Hare

This looks really good! When will the schedule of talks for Saturday and Sunday be announced? Are there any slots available? Imperial College is just round the corner from the RGS and IC Caving Club would be happy to give a talk on 23 years of exploration in Slovenia by our club!

Rob

Schedule currently being put together, and we'd love for keen participants to get in touch.

Jack, sounds great, i'll send you a PM...

Diglett

Very excited about this event!

Thank you to the organisers for putting on what looks to be an historic and memorable event. Especially, congratulations for managing to make it so affordable - hats off to you.

It would be great to see a involvement from 'CHECC' or student clubs. We'll certainly be advocating attendance among the higher education clubs, and nice one Jack for getting in there on behalf of ICCC.

(y)

mch

Diglett said:
Thank you to the organisers for putting on what looks to be an historic and memorable event. Especially, congratulations for managing to make it so affordable - hats off to you.

It's only affordable if you happen to live in London, otherwise travel and accommodation costs make it a very expensive weekend. London is hardly the caving epicentre of the British Isles, surely a more appropriate location could have been found.

Diglett

I think that, given the historical significance of the event - the RGS is a very appropriate place for it to be held.

Having said this, I acknowledge that London isn't the 'epicentre of British caving', but it is easily accessible by public transport. Accommodation will be more problematic for those visiting, granted; perhaps the community can come up with a solution e.g. shared AirBnB or similar?

nickwilliams

Please also bear in mind that this event is intended to fly the flag for British caving and London is probably the best place to do that even if it's not cavers' first choice for a venue.

After all, Hidden Earth, which is very definitely an event organised by cavers for cavers, is held in or near a caving area every year.

Rob

Here are two hostels within easy walking distance of the RGS which currently have significant availability for that weekend. Both offer beds ~?20 per night so offer a very affordable option for those that book soon. Additionally people could group together and book whole bunk rooms for further cheaper rates.

Astor Hyde Park hostel
https://astorhostels.com/hostels/hyde-park/
Address: 191 Queen?s gate, South Kensington, London, SW7 5EU (6 mins walk)
Lots of dorm and private rooms, ~?21 per night [limited to 18-40 year olds]

Barkston Rooms
http://barkstonrooms.com/accommodation/
Address: 1 Barkston Gardens, London, SW5 0ER (25 mins walk)
Lots of dorm and private rooms

Jack Hare

moletta said:
Will any of the universities have beds?

Most universities will still be in term time, so the beds will be occupied by students!

If there's interest in sleeping on sofas or floors I can ask Imperial college cavers whether they have space - I should be able to offer space for two or three people that weekend. Unfortunately, although the venue is right next to Imperial College, most students live far away (30+ minutes by bus) to save money.

Rob

Free Accommodation Prize

As announced at Hidden Earth, there is free accommodation up for grabs!!! This is for two people for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

All you have to do is book your RGS tickets before the end of October to be automatically entered into the prize draw.

Each day you book for will count as one ticket, so book for all three (Fri eve, Sat & Sun) to triple your chances of winning.

For those who live locally or have already booked accommodation, a monetary prize will be offered equal to the accommodation on offer. The winner will be announced early November.

wookey

The info for this event doesn't appear to include a list of talks, or say what's on which days, which is kind of necessary when deciding whether it will be interesting or not. And there is a Friday. Do I need to take a Friday off?

I'm quite keen on this caving lark, and don't even live too far from London, but the current info is not really sufficient to get me to book a ticket. Can someone give us a bit more detail?

nickwilliams

A website with the details is being prepared. I'll publish a link here as soon as it's ready, which will be in the next few days.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Not much posted on here about the event  :(

Found this though  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXLHtV_D2Ec