Looking for caves for an art project !!

walterandzoniel

Hi,

We are looking for Caves that are easily accessible - Not too tight (as we will be bringing photographic equipment with us) caves. They can be located anywhere in the uk and we don't mind if they are off the beaten track. Are only requirement is that the cave becomes dark ( absent of light ) fairly close to the entrance so ideally it takes a right angle so that day light cannot penetrate the interior of the cave. We are looking for truly dark caves !!
Any help with this would be truly appreciated  ;)

Thanks for your time Walter and Zoniel  :hug:

Inferus

OFD and easy access might not go together in this instance (email, turn up, get key - easy yes but these guys might want flexibility and might not be cavers)

If it's darkness you want (i assume light painting is part of the art?) would a mine do the trick just as easy?

Bottlebank

There a good few thousand truly dark caves available in the UK, do you have a preference for any particular area?

Duncan S

Also depends on how accessible you need it to be.
Might be worth contacting a showcave to try and arrange out of hours access.

Next step up would be something like Goatchurch on Mendip. The far end of the old showcave ought to be dark enough for your needs and is an easy upright walk; can be done in normal clothes.
Only problem with Goatchurch is that the old showcave doesn't have glistening damp walls; if the reflections from the rock are part of your project then you will need to go elsewhere.

Also.. You will need to leave no trace. For example, a dim view will be taken in most caves of wire wool spinning. There are some places where you might get away with this, but need to be clear about this up front.

If you need space, there is an old mine on the Walna Scar Road above Consiton. It's about 200m level walk into the mountain ending up in a large chamber which includes a flat area about the size of a tennis court. It's occasionally used as an overnight bivvy location for groups. Main drawback is getting to the entrance as it is quite a long way from the nearest parking place.

In short - a few more specifics will help with the recommendations! :)

mudman

There's Ogof Clogwyn. Short crawl to a right-angle bend. Descent size walking passage  and an interesting little stream cave.

martinr

Something makes me think this won't be a small-scale project.
http://www.walterhugoandzoniel.com/

http://www.walterhugoandzoniel.com said:
Walter & Zoniel are a young, London based, artist duo. They live, work, sleep, breathe, eat and create together, twenty four hours a day.

They work within the mediums of installation, sculpture, photographic process, film and performance. Their work focuses on visually charming and enticing the viewer into thought and momentary escapism, whilst dealing predominantly with the human condition, evoking a relationship and questioning between all the elements involved.

Multi-disciplinary in their practice, the central themes to their work come from a meditation upon our existence and reflection of the intricacies of the relationships we each have with one other and with the natural world around us.

Elements of Walter & Zoniel?s work has also centred on utilising scientific process and pioneering the modern development of early photographic techniques. Devoid of the overwhelmingly polished look of a contemporary photograph, Their evolved ambrotypes, tintypes, salt prints and pigment prints are not only laboured with the marks of their own hand making, but also capture the life of the subject in an unparalleled way.

Their more recent installation and sculptural works centre upon the subjects of inspiration and our innate connections with each other and with the universe, where they utilise the surrealist and the beautiful or the ethereal as a medium. All of their work carries the undercurrent of their optimism and mantra that everything is possible.

Through their meditative processes of creation, which is often deeply physical, they have developed their own unique techniques that focus upon the cyclic nature of existence, embodying the human condition as much within their process as in their finished artworks. Their work merges experiences from both of their scientific and Buddhist backgrounds driven by a commitment to deeper exploration of the mind and universe and genuine formats with which they can express.

Both Walter and Zoniel have practiced art since childhood. Walter was born and raised in the heart of London. The urban landscape was his favourite and most comfortable domain where he would created installations in the street. Wandering the concrete complexes of his locality at night and responding to the terrain and the mentalities that he came across, he would create pieces to inspire thought within his peers placing them publicly to be stumbled across in the day.  Inspired by the workings of the universe he focussed his interests in the studies of science and Nebular theory before teaching himself photography.

Zoniel grew up in both the city and the hills of North Wales. Childhood events and illness inspired a deep fascination of the capabilities of the human mind and its perception, which grew into a desire to capture and represent those things through the arts and music. Seeking out a means to further explore this fascination, as a teenager she renounced her worldly belongings and moved to a Tibetan Buddhist Monastery where she studied meditation and Tibetan arts under the guidance of a Master Artist and many High lamas.

Their work weaves their outlooks together, their individual takes on the analytical and the ethereal.  Their joint energy fuels further creation and their practice in itself acts as a vessel to push the expansion of their understanding. They are Formationist.

They may be better approaching a show cave eg Dan yr Ogof? Or Honister Slate Mine?

graham

It's an interesting one. Firstly Duncan S is correct to say that a very dim view would be taken of anything being left behind, he mentions Goatchurch, well we have had to do serious clean ups of that cave after filming trips before (when I say "we" I of course mean "Cap'n Chris"  ;) ). the other issue with reasonably accessible sites is that they don't stay dark for very long as other visitors will arrive with their own lights.

If it is simply the absence of light they are after I would agree that an after hours show cave or mine might be the best bet. If it is an absence of light and a wholly natural environment - possibly not given, especially, Walter's urban background - then they are going to have a harder job.

martinr

A little more info from the artists would be helpful. We can all think of places that may be suitable, but suitable for what exactly?

graham

martinr said:
We can all think of places that may be suitable ...

Or suitable places for thinking

3f9dbb64e0cbe0c251fd53abac3516da.jpg

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Yordas cave, in the Yorkshire Dales NP might be ideal for your needs.  It is direct access to a large chamber with a high ceiling, formations, good rock texture and a waterfall and stream at one end.  PM me if you want to know more.

JasonC

Yordas was my first thought, but a little light does get in, depending how fussy W&Z are about it being absolutely dark.
Unless you went at night, of course...  Also it tends to be well-visited.

What about Scoska ?  Easily accessible, although a lot less visited than Yordas, I imagine.  Yes, you would have to go in a little way for total darkness, but it's still easy going at this point as I recall.

It's here: http://cavemapping.speleologist.me.uk/MapSelectedCaves.php?caveloc%5B%5D=54.147621514337%3A-2.131225554991%3AScoska+Cave&sumbit=Show+on+Map