Winter entertainment 28th November

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
28th November Rheged Centre, Penrith, Cumbria.  An evening of illustrated caving talks.

Andy Eavis tours the world's caves.
Roo Walters travels to China and Borneo to measure the world's biggest cave chambers.
Frank Pearson stays at home, where else, the Three Counties System is on our doorstep.

http://www.rheged.com/empires-rock

All proceeds to Ghar Parau Foundation.

tony from suffolk

Damn. That's just up the road but I'm supposed to be going to a party with SWMBO. Maybe I'll risk a good pasting & tell her I'm going to this instead.

tony from suffolk

Oh well, geology was never my strong subject.

Actually, we've a holiday home in Keswick, where I'm located for the next week or so. SWMBO's suggested I could pop into the party after the Rheged do. Mind you, I might have inadvertently told her the wrong time for when it starts...

tony from suffolk

I managed to get to this; a most enjoyable evening. Massive dark voids, jumbles of massive blocks to find your way round with just the pathetic glimmer of your light to find your way, getting thoroughly lost in a gigantic maze. And that was just the car park.

A fascinating journey through the muddy holes and scaffold- bedecked narrow shafts of the links in the Three Counties System by Frank Pearson (A very pleasant young fellow, nice to talk to). Quite mind-boggling to see all the work a few tough folks have put into the various connections; and it's still going!

Not seen Andy Eavis for probably forty years & meanwhile he's been a very busy chap. Looks very fit & still going strong. Wonderful memories of the overseas expeditions he's organised over many years and great photos of some truly awesome caves.

Roo Walters' presentation showed, by the use of very sophisticated 3-D laser scanning technology, just how massive some of these chambers are. Quite staggering. On a par with the biggest stuff on Mendip. Roo had brought along a selection of models of these monster spaces made on a 3-D printer.

All in all, slight difficulties with the audio system aside, a thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours. Many thanks to the speakers and the organisers.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
You were so right about the car park, Tony  :)

Great review, just sorry I didn't get to say hi.

10402938_754516284623206_2339801659861444194_n.jpg

10518835_754516324623202_7843657986702816412_n.jpg