CRoW Opinion Poll

Should BCA, on your behalf, campaign for The Countryside and Rights of Way Act (2000) to apply to go

• Yes

Votes: 94 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 23.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • Won't be voting

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Bottlebank

There seems to be an assumption that most cavers are in favour of CRoW applying to caving. I'm curious to test this, and to see how many are still undecided.

1) The question will be: "Should BCA, on your behalf, campaign for The Countryside and Rights of Way Act (2000) to apply to going underground?" The options will be "yes" or "no".

I also believe a lot more people read UK Caving than ever comment, so the results could be interesting.

Why not let us know how you intend to vote?

You can change your vote at a later date if you wish.

darren

If only here was a national caving body to organise such a poll.

Maybe they could ballot all  members and those with an interest could respond.

To obvious perhaps?

Ship-badger

What the hell is wrong with people? This thread has had 119 views so far, but only 32 votes have been cast. Or is it just Peter and Graham who keep looking at the thread to see how it's going? :LOL:
Anyway, it's a YES from me.

graham

Ship-badger said:
What the hell is wrong with people? This thread has had 119 views so far, but only 32 votes have been cast. Or is it just Peter and Graham who keep looking at the thread to see how it's going? :LOL:
First time I've looked.  ::)

Bottlebank

graham said:
Ship-badger said:
First time I've looked.  ::)

I've had a few looks  :-\

Alex

This is like the referendum in Scotland, however this poll is far more clear cut then they were in Scotland.

badger

looks like I am in the undecided camp. whilst I like the idea of free access I am also fearful of the possible results (maybe unfounded worries) to vunerable caves. And whilst there is a school of thought that why should certain caves (with controlled access at the moment) be only available to a few (figure of speech, few could mean 100's)
I believe that we as cavers have a responsibility to protect such caves. nearly all such caves at present you can get access, unfortunately that sometimes means knowing the right people. we know that even on protected leader lead caves cavers already whether accidentally or otherwise damage caves.

Mark Wright

With 2 members of the 'no' camp otherwise engaged on the weekend of the forthcoming CHECC event, will one of the current 12 'no' campers put their name forward to speak at this very important event?

It's looking like there could be a bit of work to do.

Mark 

graham

Mark Wright said:
With 2 members of the 'no' camp otherwise engaged on the weekend of the forthcoming CHECC event, will one of the current 12 'no' campers put their name forward to speak at this very important event?

It's looking like there could be a bit of work to do.

Mark

Someone has volunteered to do this. I believe they are approaching the organiser.

The number does indicate it ain't just me & Peter, though, as some would have you believe.  :)

Ship-badger

You are quite correct Graham, the number does indicate that it isn't just you and Peter. It does however, at the moment at least, indicate that you are in a significant minority. If, as I fervently hope, it eventually goes the way I would like; I trust that you, as a supporter of democracy, will accept it with good grace.
This is what I do whenever Labour win a general election. ;)

Ship-badger

Peter, I think I made it pretty clear that that is precisely how I do behave when it goes against me. And since when did Graham need you to defend his corner? Give me strength. o_O

Peter Burgess

For me, Good Grace requires people not to state that you "trust others to accept things in good grace". I found it mildly insulting that it was felt necessary to even make that statement.

nearlywhite

I think that given how personal some of these slanging matches over CRoW have become, people could be forgiven for calling for 'good grace' from both sides.

I think it's more a case of good grief personally.

PS I wasn't aiming that at you Peter, I just felt a few others (both Yes and No) might take note!

Peter Burgess

It is a very sensitive subject. I have tried very hard, and I hope I have managed, not to insult anyone. But I do despair at how poorly it has been discussed at times.