Abandoned Mines

braveduck

New legislation regarding Abandoned Mines has been published ,which could impact on CRoW changes .

Activities at abandoned mines will from now on,not be subject to mines regulations.

braveduck

Yes it is on Adit Now. I can not do links !
But reading the small print it looks as if nothing has changed ,just going to stay the same .
I am sure land owners have refused trips on the basis of H&S in Mines Act ,so this  argument
is untrue and irelivant  .

Blakethwaite

braveduck said:
I am sure land owners have refused trips on the basis of H&S in Mines Act ,so this  argument
is untrue and irelivant  .
Which landowner in particular out of interest? I'm in a mining club, would be useful info to have if it affects us. Do you have more info on this 'H&S in Mines Act'?  :-\

martinm

braveduck said:
New legislation regarding Abandoned Mines has been published ,which could impact on CRoW changes .

Activities at abandoned mines will from now on,not be subject to mines regulations.

It doesn't say that, it says "Activities at abandoned mines will, as now, not be subject to mines legislation."

I've just read the aditnow thread and the HSE doc and that is what says. Ie:- no change to current practices.  :read:  :coffee:

droid

My understanding of the legislation regarding abandoned mines is that the Landowner is responsible for ensuring that there isn't either accidental entry to the mine (falling down a shaft) or entry into adits by casual passers-by.

I think the Mines and Quarries Act covers this. I presume this is the Act braveduck refers to.

I'll quite happily be corrected on the above. I have little enthusiasm for ploughing through pages of legalese.

Bob Mehew

The web page is at http://www.hse.gov.uk/mining/mlr.htm and includes a link to the draft regs entitled "draft guidance".  I have not looked to see when they will come into force. 

Draft reg 3 defines what a mine is.  An abandoned mine is defined in draft reg 2. Draft reg 4(7) makes clear these regs won't apply to an abandoned mine.  Once declared abandoned, then the mine owner has a duty under the 1954 Sec 151 of the Mines and Quarries Act to safeguard the entrance from accidental entrance, see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/2-3/70/part/XIII.