Mid week caving trips for beginner, Yorkshire Dales

Joe Parsons

Good afternoon all.

I joined this forum because of my curiosity and interest for one special place- Mossdale Caverns. Firstly, I have no intention of going in there, this was just to find information, as my girlfriends father is one of the five members of the Conistone moor owners syndicate, and has often told stories of the rescue back in the day.

I am no caver (yet) although events in the last twelve months now put me in a position to get into it. I am a very keen hillwalker, and can often go wandering off up Great Whernside with the dog, or up onto Grassington moor - just one of the benefits of stepping out of the door and being in Kettlewell! Being a good navigator and strong walker led me to apply to join Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue in Grassington. I have been told that skills come first in UWFRA, which is understandable. They are looking for climbers, cavers etc. So, I thought with my interest in caving growing, and my proximity to loads of caves and potholes, plus I have a basic understanding of SRT (albeit used in trees!) I would take steps to getting started.

Because of my work schedule in the summer (I work on outdoor events like agricultural shows etc) I need to go caving in the week. Looking at  my many local clubs, most meets take place on weekends. So, what I am looking for is either a club, group or individual who fancies taking on a newbie to learn more about caving and SRT (particularly rigging!) I own some kit (mostly SRT) and am just about to purchase a helmet and decent lamp.

So enough rambling, any help will be appreciated. Joe

paull

hi Joe
welcome to the forum,
most clubs have members that cave midweek they just tend not to be on the clubs meets list,

hope you find a club that meets your needs and most of all enjoy your new interest in caving as there is a lot of enjoyment to be had, not just in the caving but making new friends aswell  :)

paul

JasonC

Hi Joe
The Kendal CC meets every Wednesday evening, with trips of various levels, and newcomers are always welcome
There's a link to the website at the bottom of this post

Best wishes
Jason

cuteypie

Beware the ones who call themselves the White Rose- they are evil ones from the planet thaaagh and can not be trusted

Joe Parsons

Well, as an update to any new cavers out there who are reading every post on this forum, here is an update from me. Its almost three months since I posted this request for help, and I must say the response has been fantastic. I have been caving every week (sometimes twice) and have to thank various member of this forum for their help in getting me started. I have experienced a bit of everything so far, from digging in the Goyden system in Nidderdale, to some excellent SRT stuff in Marble Steps, Swinsto and Gill House Pot, some very wet stuff in Great Douk, an excellent trip with a short ladder pitch in County pot and up the Wretched Rabbit, and a short but very interesting trip into Dowkabottom last week with UWFRA outdoors club. So all in all, my caving apprenticeship is going very well indeed. I haven't missed a week yet at all and intend to keep it that way. So, to those of you thinking of getting started, take it from me, cavers are a nice bunch of people, and are keen and helpful to teach and explain. So all you have to do is just ask politely and be patient. A word to the wise though, dont run before you can walk. I am as keen as anybody, and wanted to do the biggest and the best first, but careful guidance from experienced people so far has taught me that I need to start at the bottom and work up (I know, bit backwards for caving!) I have been in places that have exhausted me, tested my strength and stamina, and tested my ability to keep calm. Fortunately, I managed these things, but it was all helped along by a slow build up to the bigger stuff. Anyway, enjoy learning to cave, I really am doing, and will continue to learn for a long time to come. Once again, thanks to all my new caving friends.

Goydenman

Great to have you on board Joe and look forward top more trips once my shoulder gets better - getting frustrated now  :(