GPS files for British caves, all in one place.

solocavediver

Hi,

having had a cold &  therefore not been caving I turned my attention to getting GPS point of interest files for all the British caves onto my Garmin GPS. The necessary info seems to all be there on the Net, but spread all over the place and in a variety of formats. So I did the necessary conversions; if you go to http://solocavediver.com/gps.html  I have put there GPX (human readable XML) and .gpi (binary, directly downloadable to a Garmin GPS) files for Northern, Peak District, Welsh, Mendip and Irish caves.

Let me know if I messed up somehow.....

Cheers,

Charles.

DaveR

Charles, you have done what I've been intending (and failing) to do for years! Well done.
I'll be squirting the data into Memory Map and my Satmap tonight. Those winter evenings just fly by! Of course, what we need is EVERYTHING in Northern Caves 1,2 & 3.
You know you want to...
:) Cheers,
Dave
:bow:

solocavediver

Hi Dave,

I had noted that the Northern Caves online stuff was only the "popular" ones - whereas what we have in the Peak, Welsh and Irish files is pretty comprehensive. Possible strategies:

1.  Ask Mr Peter Ryder very nicely if he has some sort of computer file for NC1,2 and 3. After that it would be easy.
2.  Copy all those data by hand. One for the LONG winter evenings.
3.  Set up a webpage where people can enter high precision GPS data on any cave they visit. Implore them to do so....
4.  Use some kind of software to electronically "read" scanned images of NC1-3 and get the data that way.

Hmm, I might have a go at (4) if satisfied that Mr Ryder and the other copyright holders are happy about it.

Cheers,

Charles.

DaveR said:
Charles, you have done what I've been intending (and failing) to do for years! Well done.
I'll be squirting the data into Memory Map and my Satmap tonight. Those winter evenings just fly by! Of course, what we need is EVERYTHING in Northern Caves 1,2 & 3.
You know you want to...
:) Cheers,
Dave
:bow:

TheBitterEnd

Excellent effort  (y)

Hope you don't mind, I've put them on a Bing Maps background so that if you zoom in far enough you can see them on an OS Map. It's a bit slow (on my Laptop at least) I may get round to breaking them up into several pages to make it go a bit quicker.

Three Counties Caves

solocavediver

I really like the map! :clap: Uploading such maps to the GPS is also possible but it's probably easier just to print out the bits one wants.

TheBitterEnd said:
Excellent effort  (y)

Hope you don't mind, I've put them on a Bing Maps background so that if you zoom in far enough you can see them on an OS Map. It's a bit slow (on my Laptop at least) I may get round to breaking them up into several pages to make it go a bit quicker.

Three Counties Caves

simonsays

The locations to all the caves in NC 1,2 and 3 are available as an overlay to google earth. Dunno if that would be of any help to you?

simon

solocavediver

Hi guys & gals,

I have now added (as per Dave's request) the complete list of sites for Northern caves vols 1 & 3. Vol 2 awaits me getting around to scanning it in and reading it with an OCR program. Be aware that the new GPS files are based on NC's SIX FIGURE grid references, so expect errors of 70 yards or so even on a good day.... But with the original file (based on the Google earth locations mentioned by Simon) you're basing it on what should be at least 8 figure GPS grid refs. I have tried to remove sites from the 6 figure files that merely duplicate (badly) the more accurate locations in the original file.

<http://solocavediver.com/gps.html>

Cheers,

Charles.

DaveR

Uploaded them to my various GPS devices last night via Memory Map. Very impressive if you zoom right out so you can view the clusters of caves.
(y)

TheBitterEnd

At long last I have got round to making a selectable list of caves to map, thanks to Solocavediver's efforts in getting the Grid Refs digitized in the first place.

There is a page with all cave names, you can select the caves you want to see on a map (zoom in and you get OS mapping) and there is an "experimental" page that shows all the caves as selectable marks, so you can map near-by caves.

http://speleologist.me.uk/cavemapping/SelectCavesByName.php

rhychydwr1

solocavediver said:
Hi guys & gals,

I have now added (as per Dave's request) the complete list of sites for Northern caves vols 1 & 3. Vol 2 awaits me getting around to scanning it in and reading it with an OCR program. Be aware that the new GPS files are based on NC's SIX FIGURE grid references, so expect errors of 70 yards or so even on a good day.... But with the original file (based on the Google earth locations mentioned by Simon) you're basing it on what should be at least 8 figure GPS grid refs. I have tried to remove sites from the 6 figure files that merely duplicate (badly) the more accurate locations in the original file.

<http://solocavediver.com/gps.html>

Cheers,

Charles.

Excellent.  All you need now are Scottish and Devon Caves  ;)