Found - Caving Lamp in Peak District

Pete K

Hi, I picked up a caving lamp outside a well used Peak District cave this afternoon. If you've lost one very recently let me know where and what by PM/email and I'll do my best to get it back to you.
Thought it would probably go walkies perminantly over the weekend so I didn't want to leave it at the entrance. I will keep it safe until claimed.

Pete K

I still have this lamp, battery & belt from Giants. Looks nearly new or is certainly in very good condition. Don't think it is an outdoor centres' as the belt has been cut to length like a personal caver. I'll hold it for another month and then its on eBay.

Bob Smith

Pete K said:
I'll hold it for another month and then its on eBay.

I wouldn't do that if I were you,
theft by finding
and whilst you have taken what you may think are reasonable steps to locate the owner, it does not mean that it is yours to sell. Remember not all cavers read this forum.

Pipster

Could be worth leaving a note with Hitch and Hike, and Caving Supplies?

Also, this thread is in the Derbyshire section - might be worth having it moved to the Lost and Found Section?

I guess if it belonged to someone who only caves every few weeks they may not yet have noticed.  :(

paul

Pipster said:
Also, this thread is in the Derbyshire section - might be worth having it moved to the Lost and Found Section?

Good idea - I've moved it from "Derbyshire" to "Lost and Found".

SamT

Bob Smith said:
I wouldn't do that if I were you,
theft by finding
and whilst you have taken what you may think are reasonable steps to locate the owner, it does not mean that it is yours to sell. Remember not all cavers read this forum.

W.T.F.  :confused:

You gonna report him then Bob.

Pete K

Good grief, every time I pop back to UKCaving I wonder why I bother. I am well aware of the law and I've no intention of describing every step I am taking to find the owner on here. If you wish to get the lamp description and start hunting yourself then just ask.
Thanks for the move Paul, wherever its likely to get the most attention.
In the mean time please feel free to spread the word to anyone you know who may have lost a lamp at Giants recently.

Bob Smith

Sorry no offence meant, I was mereley pointing something out if you weren't aware.
SamT said:
W.T.F.  :confused:

You gonna report him then Bob.

not me, not my place. But I have had recent experience where a friends surf board was lost at sea, washed up down the coast, and then sold under similar circumstances and the guy selling now has a criminal record.

Roger W

When I was a little boy I was told if I found something like that I should take it to the police station.

Pete K

Weekend BUMP!

Still have it. Still no joy locating the owner and I've been in touch with everyone I can think of.
Not been arrested either yet for handling found goods.

Pete K

BUMP

Almost 2 months now and no idea who this belongs to. I've contacted outdoor centres and caving shops as well as post up on forums. If any clubs use Speleotechnics lamps have a check of your stock.

bograt

Have you asked Jenny to circulate it round DCA e-mail list?.
If you feel you have taken "all reasonable measures" to find the owners by the time of the DCRO celebrations, they are looking for auction items.