Swildon's Hole: tree surgeon required

cap n chris

I don't know if this is new news but I have just finished an evening trip in Swildon's and as we got to the cave entrance we came across the entire top of the old tree next to the blockhouse torn off and sitting right over the doorway. You can get in easy enough but there is a good half a ton of freshly dropped wood sat there. It will need a decent tree surgeon to chop it all up and remove it. ... tired cavers will come staggering out the blockhouse and poke there eye out on the sharp fragments sticking out of the main trunk.

Anyone know anyone relatively local who can deal this weekend?

This was reported to Les Williams, CSCC Conservation Officer, Wednesday afternoon. He said he deal with it via the landowner.

(Mad Fi if she can have the wood)

Ali M

Robin Maine, the landowner is aware of the situation. He has a chainsaw and will be sorting out the tree himself.

Duncan S

JohnMCooper said:
This was reported to Les Williams, CSCC Conservation Officer, Wednesday afternoon. He said he deal with it via the landowner.

I was in Swildons last night with Mad Fi.
She's seen the tree but didn't bat an eyelid.
I think you mean Sarah P who is always collecting wood :)

Les W

Duncan S said:
JohnMCooper said:

I was in Swildons last night with Mad Fi.
She's seen the tree but didn't bat an eyelid.
I think you mean Sarah P who is always collecting wood :)

Mad Fi is a tree surgeon and Sarah is not, so I'm pretty sure John meant Mad Fi...  :tease:

However, as Ali said above, the landowner is aware of it and is going to sort it himself.  (y)

Ali M

nice but damp said:
Shame I wasn't due over Les, or I would have come and sorted it!.

Tim

Thank you for your offer, but please leave Robin, The land owner to do it - it is his land, his tree and he wants the wood for his fire! He is a friend and neighbour, I have spoken to him personally and he and his son are going to sort it as soon as they have time.

Thank you for your offer, but please leave Robin, The land owner to do it - it is his land, his tree and he wants the wood for his fire! He is a friend and neighbour, I have spoken to him personally and he and his son are going to sort it as soon as they have time.

No Probs Ali, Totally understand that  ;)

Tim

Ali M

Tim - I have passed on your kind offer to Robin and he will come back to us if he would like some assistance from the cavers.
I have to admit that until I walked over today that I had completely underestimated the size of the fallen ?branch?. The blockhouse had a very lucky escape. It will not be a 5 minute job to sort this out and I think that Rob and his family will have sufficient firework to last them for quite a long time!!

I have a couple of photos if anyone can post them for me please?

Cookie

Sad to see such damage to an ancient tree.  :cry:

It's now looks seriously unbalanced. Can it survive much longer?

Hunter

Just take the top off.
As long as the tree is healthy it will sprout again.
Trouble is, if my memory serves and it's a while since I've been down Swildons, the tree is hollow so it's days may be sadly numbered anyway  :cautious:

Laurie

Ashes to ashes..............
whistle2.gif

tony from suffolk

Very good Martin!  :LOL:

Burt, that tree has witnessed many things in its life, things that would make other trees shudder in their roots. I've said prayers when leaning against it, to celebrate somehow avoiding getting crushed/drowned/ lost or otherwise killed. It's not just a tree! When it's gone Infor one will mourn its passing.  :cry:

Ali M

Yesterday Robin removed the spiky section of branch that was sticking out across the entrance. The main section of tree has not been touched so it is still possible to exit Swildon's via the hole at the base of the trunk.  :)

I guess that he will return to tackle the rest of the fallen limb at a future date.

great pics O R.....

It's a real shame that the limb has detached from the stem, but it was only a matter of time for it to happen!
Unfortunately, with Fraxinus Excelsior they do suffer quite a bit with various pathogenic diseases and disorders, so become very susceptible to wind throw.

Looking at the pics and also recalling from memory the shape / habit of the tree, it may well lose it's other main stem.
Next time I am over (probably in a couple of weeks) I'll have a look at it and see how bad it is and can advise Ali M (as she knows the landowner) as to what the landowner should do with the rest.
It would probably be best to pollard the tree to keep it from becoming unstable....at least then the tree will continue to grow for quite a few years to come.

I would gladly offer my services to the landowner (free of charge) to aid and assist him if nee be to rectify it as he does do a lot for us cavers, so a little in return is a good thing  ;)

Ali...if need be I can PM my details to you so you can pass on to the landowner etc if need be.

Cheers
Tim