Blasting into the unknown

Duncan Price

rhychydwr1 said:

I have been involved with the surveying/radiolocation effort which has been documented by Gavin Newman.  The first charge was due to be fired today (21/5).  Aside from the promotional hyperbole, it is hoped that access to "dry" cavers can be assured and there is every prospect of digging a non-diving route to Wookey 24 via side passages off of 20.  The main fossil route in Wookey 20 suddenly "ends" and non-diving access to this part of the cave would facilitate further exploration.

There are various photos and video footage of some of the work on social media and reports will no doubt appear in the caving literature in due course.  The closure error from dive base in 9 to 20 and back to the start via a radiolocation and overland surface survey was 2 mm.  If they get the bearing of the tunnel wrong then they could end up a Templeton. :D

Maj

That would be an interesting ride out to the surface in the Templeton kibble.

Maj.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Maj said:
That would be an interesting ride out to the surface in the Templeton kibble.

Maj.

Hey, Maj - love the little digging chap, wonder if we could add him to UKC??

Mark Wright

I like the little digging chap.

It reminded me of when Richard Bartrop and me started to dig out Faulty Towers in Peak Cavern, before Keith (Ben) Bentham did a proper job of it. Long story short, we did exactly what the little chap is doing.

Mark

Laurie

........or this one

digginghole.gif

after which......

cheers1.gif

Pitlamp

Mark Wright said:
I like the little digging chap.

It reminded me of when Richard Bartrop and me started to dig out Faulty Towers in Peak Cavern, before Keith (Ben) Bentham did a proper job of it. Long story short, we did exactly what the little chap is doing.

Mark

Aye - and some of us remember where you put the spoil!  :LOL:  :clap:

cap n chris

Cookie said:
Mind your step Andrew  ;)

That's not very Nice, and doesn't aid the Digestive, and is a bit Rich Tea of you trying to Hobnob over someone else's little Viennese Whirly slip-up, he could have Brandy Snapped his leg, Cookie! - anyhoo, don't think you've Jammie Dodgered your way out of the Garibaldi this time, you old Rusk, because I recall you having a near miss Shortbread moment in the Gouffre Bourbon with your own little Custard Cream crumble stumble.... Wagon Wheels away! Dunk on....

https://youtu.be/U-DpfEqKb_g