Car keys - what to do with whilst caving?

Pitlamp

I'd really appreciate advice on this question. (I'd really appreciate it as well if mods resist the temptation to move this to "Equipment" - at least until there's been a representative collection of responses. I posted it here after some thought, in the hopes that more people would see this question.)

It goes like this; like many cavers I odtenwear the car key on a piece of string around my neck, or hide it somewhere well away from the car, whilst underground. I've always had old cars which had real keys for getting in the driver's door. But I'm about to change my motor and it's looking like real keys are fast becoming a thing of the past. These days they expect you to carry some vulnerable electronic device which opens the door and deactivates alarms etc. So how do other cavers stop these devices from hell getting destroyed by water and grit (either whilst worn or whilst hidden on the surface in filthy weather)?

In my case my car key often goes cave diving under a wetsuit; I'm sure this would kill one of these electronic things. I've also no doubt that the vehicle manufacturers would delight in ripping me off for absurd amounts of cash for a replacement.

So what does everybody else do? Is there some clever tiny screw topped waterproof container? Or are these new keyfobs really waterproof?

Help!

teabag

I take mine in the box I carry spare AA batteries in, has a clip tight lid which appears waterproof (although I also put them inside a sealed plastic bag inside it). Fits in my warmbac arm pocket, only a problem if I want my camera as well. Should say though - I don't do diving!

Over the Hill

In all my years on earth my view is that if someone wants to get in your car they will. Often the weapon of choice being a brick via a window so why worry about a key, hide your wallet and valuables well instead. The average thief is not that bright so I think taking the key underground is over kill. Years ago a magnetic box was available, place key inside and stick to under-body of car. Otherwise get a partner that sits on surface waiting for your return but usually that only lasts until you marry them and then worrying about the wallet is no longer an issue .  :coffee:

Peter Burgess

Electronic keys are a brief phase in car security. Next it will be face recognition software and the driverless car saying "Welcome back driver, where would you like me to drive to?", or alternatively "break into this car and I'll drive you straight down the nick."

chunky

I have bolted a key safe under a wheel arch and lock it in there.

I used to take it in my box with the camera but when in Stoke Lane I dropped something and the wife said just leave it thinking it was a lens cap, fortunately I'm a tight git and went hunting between boulders, good job as it turned out to be the car key!

Katie

I've always been too worried about losing car keys underground to take them caving.
Strangely I am not too worried about theft as I always hide my keys on my car whilst caving!
Used to balance them on a spring coil, but now I tuck them in to the tyre cover for the spare tyre hanging on the back door.......

rsch

1) send a photo of your car key to https://keysinthepost.com/

2) receive by post within a couple of days a manual door opening only key which does the mechanical business of operating the lock but contains no electronics to get damaged\wet underground

3) lock your electronic key in  the car and take your mechanical key caving with you

First thing I did when I replaced my car earlier this year.

I have no connection with that particular business but I am a very satisfied customer of theirs and happy to recommend them.

cap n chris

Wrap them up waterproof-stylee and hide them on the surface relatively nearby your vehicle (your other team members should be shown where they are in the event of an emergency).

ALEXW

I'm paranoid about losing keys after hearing of a guy who had to spend almost a grand having his car's computer reprogrammed when he lost his last chipped key. I always have a spare chipped key permanently hidden in the car and hide my other chipped/ remote key when I go caving. I keep a spare unchipped key in my wallet and take another unchipped key underground with me when I cave and also hide an unchipped key near the car in a place where my caving companions know where to find it. SWMBO also has a spare unchipped key so she can get into the car if I'm not around. Local hardware guy charged me ?15 for the three unchipped keys for an old Mercedes van and a nearby locksmith copied the chipped key for ?45. Costs were similar for my old ford.
Some surfers in Wales I saw used a combination key safe / padlock device that fastened to the front suspension spring of the car, they said it was available from t'interweb.

Inferus

I remember when I started caving it was a case of attach key to cord, sling round neck.. Simple!

These days, with a fob, I use an Aquapac case - small one, just big enough for a standard fob and perhaps a small farty keyring attachment. This came with a cord and so it goes round my neck - I just have to be careful if I do anything pretty tight as it can dig in my chest.

Occasionally I make the stupid decision to take camera/flash underground in the hoping of taking a worthwhile photograph. This is carried in a Daren drum, which is sometimes used as a key store by friends.

ogofmole

I use a waterproof case and hide it just inside the cave somewhere, just make sure the rest of your group also know where it is.

Kenilworth

I leave my car unlocked and the keys in the ignition unless I have some reason to be nervous, at which time I stick the keys inside the fuel lid. Another of the perceived benefits of driving a garbage car.

But, you're asking about fancy electronic keys and water... There are an endless variety of small waterproof containers. Ziplock bags aren't terribly expensive. Put the key in one of these. Stick it somewhere.

I've never understood why anyone would take their keys caving. I can't imagine what good can come of having your key along, and I can imagine more than one potential problem.

ah147

Old diving torch body Pitlamp!

My car keys have been 700m into the ressel.

Normally I prefer to leave it clipped to the line or in a little nook just inside the entrance to a cave though. Wet or dry caving that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crickleymal

Most of my friends hide their keys on the way to the cave. If it's a gated cave we hide our keys in the cave. Personally I use the non plipper key for my car and sling it round my neck on a bootlace. I don't do really wet caves although I'm sure it would survive as the ID chip is encapsulated in the plastic.

Bob Mehew

I also have a spare non electronic key which can survive water.  But beware it cost me a large sum (so large I am embarrassed to mention it) as it had to be 'introduced' to the car's electronic management system.  (Or else I was well and truly conned!)  So you may well not be able to simply go along to your local key cutter and get a second key.  So my advice would be to check out how much a spare non electronic key for the car you are thinking of purchasing will cost before you purchase the car.

caving_fox

Most of my friends take the key in an otterbox or similar. A few hide it en route - leading to one memorable afternoon where we spent over and hour in the pouring rain hunting amongst the bracken by valley entrance looking for 'that green rock'. Having it on your person at least ensures that your party members will be attentive to rescuing you (or the key anyway) in case of difficulties!

Pitlamp

Just seen this - many thanks for all the suggestions; immensely helpful.

Please don't let this stop others adding ideas; I'm sure this is an issue which concerns a great many cavers.