Madame Guillotine #2

pwhole

On a two-man TSG trip down JH yesterday, in rather high winds, an unfortunate incident occurred that may be of interest to PeteK - as I got in the shaft and pulled the lid down, I realised that my light wasn't working, so I pushed the lid back open and stood on the scaff bars to try and sort it out. Not wanting to risk dropping my helmet down the shaft, I got my head out of the hole and took off the helmet - at this point I needed both hands, and as soon as I let go of the lid, it was blown rather savagely down onto my now-unprotected head (a Buff doesn't count as protection, but I'm bloody glad I had it on). The stiffener bar on the underside neatly chiselled a slot into the side of my head, with the obvious messy results, just about held together by my Buff.

As Wayne was only 15m down at this point, he got to enjoy the full audio splendour of a massive clang followed by a banshee scream, and assuming I must be about to collapse unconscious and dangle from my cowstails (both, I should add, and screwed-up!) asked what on earth was wrong. As my head is mostly made of mahogany, with just a small battery in the centre, I wasn't going to cede consciousness that easily and just started shouting expletives instead, especially now I'd realised my favourite merino buff was rather sticky - luckily a black model. We decided at this point that continuing the trip probably wasn't in my best interests, and trudged back to the car in the still-howling gale, Wayne clearly waiting for me to start speaking Indonesian, fizzling and crackling and then falling over dead. Miraculously, none of these things happened. I was also aware we had a 'doctor in the house' back at the chapel (if she wasn't still caving), so the objective was clear - home, Jeeves, and don't spare the horses.

Once back at the chapel, everyone had a gasp, and then a giggle once they realised I was probably going to live, and Doctor Cat ably made some on-the-spot repairs and later some retouching - for which I'm very grateful, as the Xmas dinner in the pub was looming, and the 'Frankenstein look' was not appealing to anyone. Last year's Xmas diner, I ripped a mole off my back going through the squeeze into Heaven, so I'm keeping up tradition at least.

Anyway, several lessons to be learned here (for me) - always check your bloody light works before you get in the shaft, and don't take your helmet off if it doesn't! To be honest, even with a helmet on it would have knocked me sideways, and a more flimsy person could have been in real trouble. But more importantly, as this has happened several times before that I've seen (thankfully with no-one in the way), is there any way we could look at installing some sort of fixing that would prevent this happening? Apparently there did used to be some sort of lock, but obviously it would need to be reachable by someone closing the lid as they go down. It's nearly always a strong westerly up there, so it's a likely risk. I'm still checking myself for fizzing and crackling (or speaking in tongues, for that matter), but I think I'm OK, when I know I should be a lot worse. And thanks again to Cat for sorting me out.

paul

To add to the "lid shutting in the wind" stories, a few fellow club members were exiting JH a few yeas ago on another windy day and the lid slammed down that time as well.

Luckily no one was in the shaft top at the time. But two others were at the bottom of the shaft with one on the rope a few feet off the floor. There was a metallic "CLANG" followed by quite a lot of bangings. Pete, who was on the rope, had no time to get out of the way. This turned out to be the lock hasp and padlock assembly, which had ripped of the lid and landed with a "WHUMP" on the tackle bag at the bottom, just missing Pete.

To add insult to injury, when Pete got to the top of the shaft, he opened the lid and it promptly shut again, this time on his helmeted head. Luckily without injury.

nickwilliams

Would the easy answer be to re-orient the lid so it's blown open by the prevailing wind rather than shut?

al

Probably the best answer would be to replace the lid with something like the Titan lid, which is in a similarly exposed position and swivels horizontally.

pwhole

That's what I was thinking too - it's far less threatening swivelling, unless some really bizarre wind effect makes it slice off your head instead. Would require some significant reworking though I guess. I'd be happy to help though, now it's nearly had me. My dream lid would be like the one on the musical box in Camberwick Green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWNR-08Ff0w

Maybe I'm not fully recovered yet ;)

Pete K

Hope the wound heals swiftly for you Phil.
At the DCA container we have some large sections of galvanised mesh panels. This is the stuff used on gantry ways and the like so is more than strong enough for lids. This could be fitted as a swivel with very little work. Something along the lines of; Remove old lid - Place grill over hole - Drill down one corner into concrete - resin in a large bolt with head and washer trapping grill down - figure out how make it lockable, if indeed that is even required these days(???)
Grill could twist off to side like Titan lid and perhaps improve ventilation in the mine.
While there we could also knock in a backup anchor stake (which we have ready) as I'm always a little concerned that one day someone is going to end up falling down the shaft when attempting to rig to the bar.
Suggestions welcome (and volunteers!) and I can take them to DCA.

Pete K
DCA Projects

AR

I'd check whether Rowter farm were happy with grille before making any plans to fit some, especially if they graze sheep and lambs in the field given the possibility of stuck feet. If they'd prefer keeping a solid lid, then just as a mad suggestion, maybe we could get some car boot dampers from a scrappers to slow the lid's descent, or sort out some form of counterbalance weighting?

Either ways, hope the battered bonce heals soon Phil!

pwhole

I think the reason it's locked is because a public footpath runs along the south side of the enclosure, whereas with Rowter Hole it's on private farmland with no public access. That said, a nut and bolt system would work just as well as a padlock, and possibly be easier to manage in nasty weather. If some sort of captive nut system could be employed, it would even remove the risk of dropping keys or the padlock itself down the shaft - a regular occurrence and quite a rick in itself, as outlined by paul above. If this work were to be done, it would probably be sensible to review the fixings of the scaff bars into the ginging too, just to be on the safe side.

My bonce still seems to be OK, albeit with a slight pain, but compared to my cluster headaches, it's child's play  :blink:

Peter Burgess

A lockable captured sliding plate like a car sunroof might be a safe and secure mechanism. That would obviously a completely re-engineered solution, however.

Madness

I agree with AR that any changes need to be agreed with the landowner. If the lid is being replaced then perhaps a bespoke one for the site should be designed, including all the necessary rigging points. This would be better than a 'Heath Robinson' affair.
I'm not familiar with the shaft top - has it got a sound/substantial concrete surround?

pwhole

I don't have any photos of the lid personally, but there's a reasonable one here on AditNow that non-members should be able to see - the hinge is at left, and realistically the boulder behind it which stops it laying flat to the floor could be used to anchor it, but once the last person was in, it would be quite hard to reach:

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/SuperSize/James-Hall-Over-Engine-Shaft_68166/

Oh, hang on - I do have one:

JH_Lid.jpg

pwhole

As long as we don't have to use my head this time.

Presumably though, the boulder was added specifically to make the lid reachable by the last person down? Although a pull cord/chain could always be added I guess? Somebody would no doubt strangle themselves with that though.

paul

On the last trip we had there we thought maybe some sort of prop like a car bonnet would help. This would hold the lid open and still be within easy reach for the last one down to close it.

Of course when the wind is exceptionally strong, like on Saturday, but from a direction which would blow the lid open, it could be dodgy.