Llanelli quarry pot

Pielips

The entrance to Llanelly quarry pot has been completely covered in boulders and Earth from a recent rock fall.

Huge

How much stuff is there to shift? Do you think it would be a morning's work to clear or several long sessions?

Pielips

needs a few people to clear it due to the size of the boulders. Not a one man job. Mornings work at most.

Clive G

Just make sure you spot where the fall has occurred from and that there is no more 'hanging death' left waiting to drop at a moment's notice. Try using some binoculars, if necessary.

Sometimes it is best to allow the elements to batter the fresh rock face for a while before returning and standing underneath the firing zone.

A number of quarrymen have been killed at Llangattock in the past (19th century) through the rock face collapsing on them when they went back to work too soon after blasting a loose section of cliff.

Huge

My thoughts exactly Clive. Might go take a look today though. I'll make sure I take the binoculars!  (y)

mudman

Three of us, Huge and myself included went up to have a look this morning. There's been a lot of stuff that's come down including some very big boulders. The entrance is completely filled and it looks like a big rubble heap behind it so I think some shoring of the slope behind it will also be needed.
We took some photos but I haven't got time to put them up at the moment. If Huge doesn't put his up first then I'll put a couple up this evening. I should also have some pictures from a few months ago on my phone, I'll see if I can find them for a comparison.
It is clear where the rockfall has come from and examination with a 'small' pair of binoculars reveals what looks like some big cracks and a couple of other large blocks ready to come down. So I would say that care is needed here.

mudman

Sorry, bit later than promised.

Here's a before, taken in April 2015:

2015-04-22%2019.13.07_zpsckwc1r5i.jpg

2015-04-22%2019.14.33_zpsuezeuuv1.jpg

And as it now appears:

P2210317_zpsiwb6nufr.jpg

P2210319_zpsuraganhz.jpg

And a zoom in of where it came from:

P2210320_zps4j1hd8yc.jpg

Brains

mudman said:
Sorry, bit later than promised.

Here's a before, taken in April 2015:

2015-04-22%2019.13.07_zpsckwc1r5i.jpg

2015-04-22%2019.14.33_zpsuezeuuv1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

And as it now appears:

P2210317_zpsiwb6nufr.jpg
[/URL][/img]

P2210319_zpsuraganhz.jpg
[/URL][/img]

And a zoom in of where it came from:

P2210320_zps4j1hd8yc.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Not visible, copying and pasting the url gives a photo bucket page saying no page exists?

Huge

Quick update.

I had another look on Sunday. The entrance is still covered and a few more rocks have come down but nothing significant. We've just had a few frosty nights to get the freeze/thaw action going. There's some heavy rain forecast for this week, which may loosen things up again so it's probably best to leave any work to clear the entrance for now.

Don't know if anyone else has plans to clear the place?

ogofawyr

It's open again. On Wed. 18th May it was open again. I am told that the Chelsea SS dug it out. Anyway 3 members of the Morgannwg Club did the trip that day. The entrance will in my opinion always be subject to closure by rockfall. See the photos.

Attachments

• P1040806.JPG
    P1040806.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 159
  • P1040807.JPG
    P1040807.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 158
A quote from another board:

To clarify about Llanelly Quarry Pot: the cave is basically open, but there is a certain amount of debris that has gone into the entrance and needs loading into a drag tray from inside. More work is also required to re-grade the volcano-shaped spoil pile so that the next stuff that falls off the cliff doesn't immediately bury the entrance again.

Huge

Is anyone at Chelsea planning more work John? Myself and Mudman were making plans to clear the entrance a week or two later than it was done but when we heard Chelsea had done it, we obviously didn't bother. I'm sure Brynmawr can lend a hand with any planned work. Mind you, we seem to have a lot on at the moment!