New chest ascender

Brains

Think I would like to see a video of it in use and play with it a bit, BUT I think the attachment point is rigid and in the middle of the back, soooo it might just sit on the harness maillon and work , but then wouldnt everything else get in the way? Other current designs are linked by a maillon at the base giving a floppy stance unless tensioned from a top attachment? Curious...

cavemanmike

looking at the packaging it would seem it's ppe gear and not srt  as a full harness is needed pluss a flat link connector ( whataver one of those are).
really low centre of gravity as well  :-\ :-\

cavemanmike

on closer inspection they are using a large pair shape which goes through the harness and then through the the hole on the back plate (which has the potential to dig in a bit)

Simon Wilson

It's labelled as 'pro' but it seems to be aimed at a wider market than just roped access. It's in the caving section of the Expe website.

http://www.expe.fr/uk/bloqueur-hold-up.html

Very cheap at 34 Euros. There seems to be a race to the bottom on chest ascenders. Do they think we want cheap gear, like the supermarkets tell us that the shoppers demand cheap goods? No we bloody well don't. We want quality - don't we?

AR

Having got a black Turbochest from Starless River today, I'll not be rushing out to buy one...

AR

I had to get Tony to order it specially for me, but if there's sufficient demand I'm sure he'd start stocking them as a regular item?

Simon Wilson

I thought the TurboChest was OK at first but now I think it just isn't up caving use. The rollers have gradually become increasingly less free running and there is now a flat on the top roller which is so big that the body is starting to wear.

DSCN3649-001-tile_zps88saidyq.jpg

bograt

Simon Wilson said:
I thought the TurboChest was OK at first but now I think it just isn't up caving use. The rollers have gradually become increasingly less free running and there is now a flat on the top roller which is so big that the body is starting to wear.

Do you have a record of meterage on that Simon?, the manufacturers might like to know ---?