SplashMap survey

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the big breakthroughs of 2006, we have commissioned some Splash Maps of Upper Flood

They are printed on stuffable and washable fine weave cloth - see here http://www.splash-maps.com/cave-maps/

Cost is approx ?15-16 each (20 off). They are printed at a scale of 10cm = 100m.

Whilst Upper Flood does not pose significant navigation issues I think that a SplashMap of say the OFD through trips or Three Counties system would be great.

Bill

Attachments

• 20160818_175159(1).jpg
    20160818_175159(1).jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 379
  • 20160818_175937(1).jpg
    20160818_175937(1).jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 20160818_175126(1).jpg
    20160818_175126(1).jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 224

JasonC

I love the idea of a SplashMat of Three Counties - it could double as a family-sized tent!

JasonC

Actually, that is a really good idea, whether in paper or SplashMat format.  Both your examples (OFD & Easegill) are fabulous works of the surveyors' craft (art?), but because the systems are so complex, they're of limited practical use for the caver simply trying to navigate an unfamiliar route.
Publishing one or more extracts from the surveys showing just the more popular routes would be great, although I can see that getting the balance between too much detail (liable to confuse) and too little (no help if you get off piste) would be tricky.  But fuel for plenty of animated debate down the pub :)

Diglett

Just come across SpashMaps and this tube looks great! Congrats to the surveyors on an innovative and navigation aid and a beautiful item of clothing. Yes please, can we see OFD and Three Counties next?  :clap:

nickwilliams

This looks like a good opportunity to point out that I found one of these maps while clearing up after the RGS event at the weekend. If anyone wishes to claim it, please PM me with a credible story of why it's yours and an address to return it to.

Nick.

It's mine. I have PMd you about it. Thanks for looking after it.  Nice to see its ownership respected.

A toe-rag of the lowest kind nicked one at HE. Guess I was over enthusiastic about how easy it is to stuff in a pocket.

pwhole

That's a really good idea, though I wonder how they might fare in the regions prone to the famous orange sediments...?  :-\

When muddy just rinse off in a cave stream or under the tap after a trip. Mine has now acquired the normal off white cave mud hue.