Call-out to JH on Saturday

alastairgott

Provided a good rare through trip from JH to speedwell, and our mate seems to be getting better as he posted on the internet earlier. Just hope my pub mate is mending well, he put in a heroic effort to exit and callout. Which was definitely the only thing that could have been done to help his mate in the circumstances.

Out in time for some good spirit at the local hut, and on the weekend I promised myself a weekend off from Derbyshire. Famous last words...

pwhole

A sterling effort from all concerned, and well done for getting the casualty out - and thanks to John Harrison and guides at Speedwell for facilitating the exit.

Now we know this can happen, it may well be worth undertaking another trip to actually clean up the very top of Leviathan, as there's plenty more loose stuff around, and it just needs moving back from the edge. It can be accessed at two points via the rectangular slot in the Workshop, but before the final climb down to the dry route pitch, split off into the vein passage on either side, and the bedding slot just along there is the roof of Leviathan. This is on the other side of the shaft to the access passage for the old 'wet' route. I was a bit surprised to see just how much is lying around up there, all just perched on a gravelly slope waiting to drop. It would ideally need a safety line bolting to prevent a fleshy alternative falling down.

The loose rock-mesh at the top of the final pitch near the old dam has also been looked at, and is planned for repair 'soon', but free time is difficult for me at present.

alastairgott

According to one on the trip the casualty was approx 20m down the wet (/orignial) route. So if anyone else can think of any other places that rocks can appear from, then that could prove useful.

al

pwhole said:
The loose rock-mesh at the top of the final pitch near the old dam has also been looked at, and is planned for repair 'soon', but free time is difficult for me at present.
Had plenty of time to examine the mesh on Saturday night when I spent an hour or so just below it, waiting to operate the releasable deviation for the final part of the lower. The mesh itself looks better than I expected, although it obviously wants beefing up. Need to remove the weight of small rocks and tailings too, of course, and, while we're at it, the tailings dam, which is just alongside, needs emptying again. This dam was last emptied in February 2011, and it is now full again. Many of the rocks are much bigger than tailings, and this is an indication of just how much "stuff" regularly travels down Leviathan.

Alex

It would ideally need a safety line bolting to prevent a fleshy alternative falling down.

There is a bolt far back from the pitch head to protect you from falling down there.

I was there on that day, we had exited Titan when all this kicked off and we hung around on the surface until about mid-night in-case DCRO needed more bodies, though personally I was sort of glad they did not after the Titan de-rig I was a little spent (It was not a straight forward de-rig, rope entanglement on the traverse line, pantin breaking etc).

Anyway glad he is okay, he is recovering well and is now in high spirits. Hopefully all going well he will be discharged very soon.

pwhole

I don't think there are any bolts where I'm suggesting - it's not a 'pitch head' as such, as you'd have to slide in feet-first to drop down it from there. But an hour's work would remove this particular hazard permanently.

alastairgott

Alex said:
There is a bolt far back from the pitch head to protect you from falling down there.

Alex, going down from the bolt which is far back, there's two bolts that you rig the pitch off and then deviate.

if you face both the bolts and the deviation then up in the roof behind the bolts (90degrees or so from where you've come from the workshop) there's a hole created by loose rock which goes up to a higher level.

The higher level can be accessed from the rectangular climb down from the workshop, this is the way to the alternative route.
When you're down in the rectangular "box" then you have to climb along and double back under yourself to get to the alternative routes pitch head.
Before you double back there is a hole which is tucked away near the far wall. I believe it is this hole which Phil (Pwhole) is referring to.

Pete K

I have already suggested to some that a bit of a gardening session would be a good idea and was planning on pushing it forward under the banner of a DCA job. I am away a lot at the moment but would be keen to help if someone wants to organise a (low traffic) day in there. I was surprised how much rock we had to move just to make it safe for 3 of us on the pitch head during the rescue.

pwhole

When you're down in the rectangular "box" then you have to climb along and double back under yourself to get to the alternative routes pitch head.
Before you double back there is a hole which is tucked away near the far wall. I believe it is this hole which Phil (Pwhole) is referring to.

Yeah, it's a small passage along the vein, and is accessible in both directions from the Workshop slot, if my memory serves. In fact I pointed it out to you as we passed it a few weeks ago. It's visible on the north elevation of the survey.

alastairgott

Yeh, probably, but I wasn't paying much attention as usual... :s but the info sort of sinks in at some level... (Sorry)

Pete, I've got holiday to use, earlier in the month (/s) is easier to get time off. As I guess you're thinking mon-fri.

The casualty turned up to the team debrief tonight and was in good spirits having got out of Ear, nose and throat today.  Accompanied out of hospital with one of his tripmates they had a lovely walk around the top of eldon quarry (a top place for a walk!)

Unfortunately the casualty needs to be shouted at to communicate. But as said, in good spirits, back to his house tonight.

Again thanks to his tripmate who has looked after him very well. Looking forward to helping to calibrate a new bit of kit in the pipeline...