P8 photo

Piglet

I recently passed this photo to the BCA Library (given to me by a fellow PDMHS member). On the back it says 'entrance of P8' but does anyone know who the person is and anything else about the picture?

Attachments

• P8 Entrance 1950s (small).gif
    P8 Entrance 1950s (small).gif
    111.7 KB · Views: 582

Pitlamp

I don't think P8 was discovered till 1964 (by the British Speleological Association).

Is that file name mentioning 1950s yours (given when the image was scanned)? If so then it might be worth changing to something more appropriate, to avoid confusing folk in future. If it's information that came with the original image though, this may cast doubt on the accuracy of the rest of the information with the image.

It's possible that P8 was already a dig by the 1950s but I can't imagine that such a carefully made lid would have been constructed by that stage (i.e. until they knew they'd found a major cave in 1964).

SamT

Not sure that's a lid PL.. just looks like some shoring to me.  Could it be that its just a dig?

Madness

I don't know whether it's P8 or not, but the equipment in the photo looks more modern than I'd expect to see in the 1950's.

T pot 2

It certainly looks like p8, I think that this was taken after the entrance collapsed and Bentham and associates were re building it. The date of the re building should be easy to find as the DCA funded the project.

T

Mrs Trellis

The V guard helmet is early/mid '60's. In the '50's it would have been a miner's compressed cardboard helmet and most likely a carbide lamp.

I first descended P8 on an Eldon probationary meet with Jim Kinsman, Wacker, Soppy, Geoff Dobson and Grotty (also probationer) before going to Uni so I guess it would be '65 (Woolly Bully by Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs was #1 iirc). I remember shoring but no lid but then it was a long while ago.

I'm meeting Wacker on Sunday in't George  so I'll print it out and ask him.

mikem

This pic is apparently also P8 (on Midlands Heritage website), but that forum is down so can't see any details.

ParLt3Z2DiepthSY35UR4Q

Mike

Piglet

Thanks everyone.  Any/all information is helpful and I'll pass it along to Mary Wilde, the BCA Librarian, who has the original photo now.  :)

Piglet

Pitlamp said:
Is that file name mentioning 1950s yours (given when the image was scanned)? If so then it might be worth changing to something more appropriate, to avoid confusing folk in future. If it's information that came with the original image though, this may cast doubt on the accuracy of the rest of the information with the image.

I'm not sure where the "1950s" bit comes from now.  I scanned it and I can't imagine I would have named it that if it wasn't written on it somewhere.  Given what you've all said, it seems most likely that it's 1960s.

doughobbs

Karen S said:
I'm not sure where the "1950s" bit comes from now.  I scanned it and I can't imagine I would have named it that if it wasn't written on it somewhere.  Given what you've all said, it seems most likely that it's 1960s.

Could it be later than that Karen? the battery looks like a T3 and the helmet looks like its a white plastic type late 70's or more site helmet?

Piglet

doughobbs said:
Karen S said:

Could it be later than that Karen? the battery looks like a T3 and the helmet looks like its a white plastic type late 70's or more site helmet?

Doug - check out the original photo that I posted, rather than the one of the person on the ladder.  Looks like an Oldhams to me.

shotlighter

Just  had a close look at the battery in the OP.
It's of the old " Oldham R Type" type, though similar looking ones  were made by Youle and Exide IIRC.  Also it's got the old end entry battery top on it.
These were still around in the early 80's and later, with the guts replaced by F cells.
Can't quite make out the head piece but dont think it's an Oldham - Exide possibly?

Piglet

shotlighter said:
Just  had a close look at the battery in the OP.
It's of the old " Oldham R Type" type, though similar looking ones  were made by Youle and Exide IIRC.  Also it's got the old end entry battery top on it.
These were still around in the early 80's and later, with the guts replaced by F cells.
Can't quite make out the head piece but dont think it's an Oldham - Exide possibly?

Shows what I know!!    ;)  Thanks Shotlighter.  I'm not surprised you have a better idea than me!  :)

Mrs Trellis

Is the person in the first photo female or perhaps a boy?

The helmet is a V guard - you can see the V at the rear of the crown. He/she/it is also wearing ganzies & boiler suit or anorak jacket (ripped sleeve) I think which confirms the mid-1960's date.

In the 2nd photo the caver is wearing a wetsuit - one of the first non-BSA by the looks of it (no yellow tape seams and high collar).