Haws Gill Wheel

Huge

Thanks for posting that, very impressive! Is it known where the water goes to?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pitlamp

Huge said:
Thanks for posting that, very impressive! Is it known where the water goes to?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It goes to Weathercote Cave - forming the impressive waterfall at the back of the entrance gash. From there it goes through the UK's second longest phreas via Jingle Pot and Hurtle Pot to Midge Hole. In normal weather the water goes off into low beddings here, then almost certainly flows through Joint Hole and Chapman's Rising, where it's lost again in low beddings, finally to reappear at Gods Bridge Risings. In high flow though a lot of the water comes out of the various entrances of Midge Hole and roars off down the normally dry bed of Chapel Beck. (You get a good view of this from the car, when driving up Chapel-le-Dale on a very wet day.)

In the very highest floods some of the water actually overflows Haws Gill Wheel itself and maintains a surface flow all the way down the valley to Weathercote.

Even the above is a simplification; there are many alternative routes through the complex phreas and other overflow points (such as Jingle Pot and Hurtle Pot). But hopefully this answers your question.

Hurtle Pot was overflowing yesterday in fact. As the water went down during the wee small hours of this morning, it would have been a good time to listen to the Hurtle Pot Boggart glooping and gurgling. If you've never experienced this, it's worth going out of your way to visit Hurtle Pot as a big flood is going down. (Access is through a gate on the uphill side of the entrance crater.)

Pitlamp

Happy to try and help if I can. I only know it well because us sump floppers seem to spend a lot of time in Chapel-le-Dale. In fact the whole of that phreatic system is described in quite a lot of detail in the relevant chapter of the new BCRA book Caves & Karst of the Yorkshire Dales, Part 2. It's due for publication later this year but some chapters (including the one which deals with all the caves of Chapel Beck) are available to view online.

grahams

Anyone know whether there is currently any access to Weathercote Cave and if so, what are the arrangements?