Idiots at flood entrance

M

MSD

Either that or a tourist got caught short and took a piss down the entrance....

ChrisJC

Hatstand said:
Hope the poor bugger got his ropes back!!  :doubt:

I hope the other cavers get a good ticking off, for
1- derigging somebody elses kit
2- not realising and going back to release him!

Chris.

littletitan

Hatstand said:

Doesn't seem like he got very much of his kit back at all, no not at all.  Awfully embarassing for all those involved I should think.  Probably best to keep your heads down.  Certain CRO members get pretty  :mad: when they have to turn out of there warm beds because cavers think they have nowt better to do than o_O

R

RM

Ok here is the real story

SUSS booked GG inc flood, bar, stream etc. Some of MUSC joined us for an exchange

5 trips descended gg. 4 of these exchanged so that different people went out of different entrances. MUSC rigged flood, but did not exit that way, the team exiting flood did not include anyone who had entered flood, and got confused, I believe thinking two SUSS/MUSC lines had been rigged.

This was brought to the rest of our attention at 7pm, all except for the MUSC team who were still to surface from Stream.

At this point we realised we had derigged someone elses ropes however as we had the only permit and had seen no other unaccounted for people in the system we assumed they must have been insitu digging ropes, which we were planning on returning probably on the following day.

When the MUSC Team arrived at 9pm they mentioned having seen a lone caver, and the problem became clear.

we went to inform cro, but they had allready been alerted via a callout.

While a number of errors were made, which as a club we have identified, and will rectify with a proper debrief and training to follow, it was a genuine mistake for which the individual involved is very sorry.

We as a club would like to thank CRO for their efforts and understanding, and apologise whole-heartedly to the individual concerned for the discomfort caused

graham

Excuse my ignorance, but if SUSS had booked these various entrances, does this mean that the solo caver had not booked his trip?

Just asking.

martinr

graham said:
Excuse my ignorance, but if SUSS had booked these various entrances, does this mean that the solo caver had not booked his trip?

Just asking.

madjbs has been quiet for a while..........?? And he was asking about CNCC permits.........????? Couldnt be him, could it?  ;)

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,5763.msg79824.html#msg79824
http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,5763.msg79927.html#msg79927

Hatstand

graham said:

Just asking.

A recent topic about permits in Yorkshire had me thinking about this. Having come into caving through the "not in a club" route and only fairly recently joined the Wessex, I was totally oblivious to any permit system operating in the area. Does Lancaster Hole need a permit? If so I should go buy one of those cave pirate t-shirts from Speleolabs...  :doubt:

No, I really didn't know, and even now, as I don't go there very often, I haven't gotten around to working it out yet - I'm sure it is easy enough, but you first have to know that you should be looking...

D

darkplaces

Oh, so permits caused the problem  :-\ by allowing people to assume things.

Hmm, this leads me to think permits are bad  :confused:

Hatstand

damian said:
Hatstand said:
Does Lancaster Hole need a permit?

Yes.

I need to buy another shirt then  :LOL:

Quite seriously though - we can't have been the only buggers either not knowing we needed one or ignoring said, cause there were a stupid number of ropes rigged by the time we came up - and I'm sure the permit system wouldn't have allowed 5+ teams to do the same trip at the same time...

...would it??  ::)

M

miketopsom

littletitan said:
Hatstand said:

Doesn't seem like he got very much of his kit back at all, no not at all.  Awfully embarassing for all those involved I should think.  Probably best to keep your heads down.  Certain CRO members get pretty  :mad: when they have to turn out of there warm beds because cavers think they have nowt better to do than o_O

The majority of his gear (rope and metalwork) as far as we could tell was left with the guys at the CRO depot, so they *should* be with him now.
However, MUSC didn't get all their rope back, as a handline (hardly used) was left in situ  :cry:

damian

Hatstand said:
I'm sure the permit system wouldn't have allowed 5+ teams to do the same trip at the same time...

...would it??  ::)

AFAIK one party per cave per day for all the Dales permits.

SamT

martinr said:
madjbs has been quiet for a while..........?? And he was asking about CNCC permits.........????? Couldnt be him, could it?  ;)

although hell bent on kicking up a fuss about CNCC permits - madjbs lives in Thailand  it would seem - so unlikely.  o_O