Author Topic: UFS 23/06/07  (Read 8245 times)

Offline bru

• Mycobacterium vaccae addicted
  • obsessive maniac
  • SCG CSS
UFS 23/06/07
« on: June 23, 2007, 07:51:42 pm »
Well I thought it was mighty fine  ;D  Any thoughts chaps...

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
Re: UFS 23/06/07
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 07:56:52 pm »
Tight, arduous, pretty.  :thumbsup:

Many thanks to Mike R for leading us - I think he said we were the first "tourist", visiting club, trip. A fine trip  :bow: MCG  :beer2:

Offline martinr

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 08:30:53 pm »
Tight, arduous, pretty.  :thumbsup:

Many thanks to Mike R for leading us - I think he said we were the first "tourist", visiting club, trip. A fine trip  :bow: MCG  :beer2:

Bloody tourists,  Mendips full of 'em.

Seriously though, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Where abouts did you get to?

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 08:41:33 pm »
Apparently we visited everything apart from Neverland, according to the fine fellow leading us. A very varied cave, innit?

Offline bru

• obsessive maniac
  • SCG CSS
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 08:43:55 pm »
all of us thought that visiting neverland was a bad idea as we weren't wearing anything under our wetsuits :)  Superb cave, very grateful for the chance of a look see, thanks guys.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 08:47:31 pm »
Correction. We didn't visit "everything apart from Neverland"; there were LOADS of high(er) level passages leading off which we didn't venture into - we followed the main stream from the Departure Lounge until we got to a junction where we headed off to look at some phreatic streamway, similar to Swildon's 2/4 and checked out the bit at the end where there were signs warning of bad air, then we returned and went to look at some pretties before following West Passage to its termination and then returned the way we came in. 6hrs in all.

Offline Burt

• forum hero
  • SCG, ChCC
    • Outdoor Activities & Team Events
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 09:54:16 pm »
Unbeleivable. Words don't do it justice - so heres some pictures:

Pristine straws all over the place

More of the same in Midnight streamway

You could spend a week photographing in here - I took 58 in 6 hours without really trying!

The entrance to Neverland - IMHO should be properly photographed and never entered again. There's a notice requiring you to remove boots and wear clean kit but as you are TOTALLY covered in gooey mud a complete change of clean dry clothes is the only sensible option to avoid destroying this awesome bit of cave.

Outside entrance to neverland

Stal in flashlight....

...and the same stal in headtorch light - camera balanced on my knee.

Huge flowstone deposits abound.

This is a fantastic cave but if you think it's easy, don't be fooled by the lack of SRT etc. - It's a serious undertaking which took us 6 1/2 hours, with some tortuous squeezes (if you're over 42" chest forget it) and some prolonged crawling over sharp rock. It destroyed my wetsuit and even with extra thick kneepads I have very sore knees! there's also some very loose stuff in places.

However there's so much stuff I came out looking like this guy - :alien:- 'twas as memorable as my vewwy furst cave twip. Huge thanks to Mike from MCG - I will pop the CD of the prints through Nordrach letterbox this week.
NICE ONE FELLAS! :thumbsup:

Cheese on toast - the answer to all of life's problems.
www.aardvarkendeavours.com ~ Outdoor activities and Team events
www.tvandfilmsafety.co.uk ~ On-location safety services

Offline martinr

• forum hero
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 10:10:38 pm »
Correction. We didn't visit "everything apart from Neverland"; there were LOADS of high(er) level passages leading off which we didn't venture into - we followed the main stream from the Departure Lounge until we got to a junction where we headed off to look at some phreatic streamway, similar to Swildon's 2/4 and checked out the bit at the end where there were signs warning of bad air, then we returned and went to look at some pretties before following West Passage to its termination and then returned the way we came in. 6hrs in all.

Here's a survey to help you:

Figs in red are Jun07 discoveries:

1. High level gour
2. Walk the Plan Inlet
3. Wall Street
4. Charnel Inlet

UFS is now over 3 Km long (of which 2675.90m surveyed) and Vertical range = 125.49m.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 10:20:45 pm by martinr »

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 10:25:27 pm »
Cheers, MartinR; it looks like we didn't visit Royal Icing Passage, Neverland, Charnel Inlet and Wall Street but pretty much visited the other bits, following the main taped pathways. What an amazing place. One gets the definite impression there's more....

Offline martinr

• forum hero
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 10:27:43 pm »

Cheers, MartinR; it looks like we didn't visit Royal Icing Passage, Neverland and Wall Street

You'll just have to do it again then!

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 10:30:04 pm »
Gladly go again tomorrow! - however, it might seem a little selfish!

Offline bru

• obsessive maniac
  • SCG CSS
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 11:10:53 pm »
 :bounce: can I come too please.  Really exciting potential for further discoveries abound, let us know if you need a hand down there anytime ;) Monstrous fine indeed.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 07:34:19 am »
Bru, you have clearly become a hopeless caving tart. Good for you.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 08:56:05 am »
I've taken the liberty to upload some larger pictures which Ian took during the trip - just click on the pic to get a full screen version (you can then click on the right button and select "VIEW IMAGE" for a fit-to-screen better view).

Nice one, Ian: I'll pass the disc on to Bruce when I see him next (maybe later, Bru? - Swildon's will be in spate today given all this rain, especially after last night....).

Golden Chamber, en route to the awkward bouldery squeezemazes.

Self portrait of Ian, at the flowstone cascade about 100m downstream from the Departure Lounge.

The streamway approaching Walk the Plank. Note the nice cross section. Front to rear: Ian, Chris, Bruce, Mike.

Bruce and Mike at Neverland Junction.

Nearby Royal Icing Junction.

Thanks for taking your camera, Ian; I'll risk taking mine next time (Christine was a bit miffed when Bru and I mentioned where the trip had visited, so looks like I'll be nicely asking the nice man at the nice club for another nice visit the nice cave again, nicely, soon).

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 09:45:08 am »
I was thinking I couldn't manage this trip but am beginning to wonder. could a 56 year old with a 38" chest who is just under 6' manage it do you think?

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 04:54:21 pm »
How flexible are you? - can you do multidimensional twists in narrow stuff?

Offline martinr

• forum hero
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 05:48:36 pm »
I was thinking I couldn't manage this trip but am beginning to wonder. could a 56 year old with a 38" chest who is just under 6' manage it do you think?

I am reliably informed that 38" chest shouldn't be a problem, 40", maybe 42" is apparently fine (MikeR is 38"
if breaths *in* - he fits without any real problem). 6ft shouldn't be an issue, there are no tight bends. Age 56 ... well an MCG  pensioner has managed it!

Of course, if you were offering to take some photos for us, that might help...

I must point out that I can't lead you - I'm probaly too fat, certainly not fit enough.

I suggest you email secretary "at" m-c-g.org.uk

wormster

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 07:32:59 pm »
Stunning trip report the fellas,

but why when I go to view all of C 'n C's images they come out all crappy and pixelated (I know its not my screen resolution, coz all the other imageshack ones come out fine :furious:)

Offline Burt

• forum hero
  • SCG, ChCC
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 07:38:40 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Martin R, I'll gladly risk my camera again to take any photos of UFS for you - just let me know!! :bounce:

Offline martinr

• forum hero
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 07:55:33 pm »

[/quote]

Martin R, I'll gladly risk my camera again to take any photos of UFS for you - just let me know!! :bounce:
[/quote]

There are several others I know who are chomping at the bit to do some photography, I just wish I was fit enough to lead a trip myself.

I will suggets to the UF leaders that they may wish to orgainse a special trip for photography, and maybe get as many photograhers into UF as they can at the same time? Bear in mind that there has to be 1 leader per 3 "guests".

There is a leaders meeting on 10/07/07 when I will raise this subject, so watch this space.

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 08:30:26 pm »
Might well be interested later in the summer. I have come to the conclusion that the only way I am going to find out is to go in there and take a look for myself!  thanks for all the helpful advice.

Offline Burt

• forum hero
  • SCG, ChCC
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 09:17:30 pm »
Cheers MartinR; sounds like a great idea. Can you imagine it though? all those "luvvies" wanting "just one more with a bit more exposure" - Whoever was leading would have to :
a) have the patience of a saint
b) also be a photographer
c) or a model or luvvie
d) mad
or all of the above.

Still, I'm up for it!!

Offline miketa

• player
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 09:11:25 am »

Thanks for dropping off the piccy CD at Nordrach .... I've not seen it yet but I'm told its there, thanx.

Great trip. Glad to be of service :)
MCG

Offline bru

• obsessive maniac
  • SCG CSS
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 04:19:30 pm »
Thanks again for showing us around mike, inspiring tirip.  Sorry I uglified some of the photos by gurning ;D