Manchester uni

H

Huw Groucutt

Thinking of going to manchester now, went on an open day and nice city etc. How far is it to get to caves?

bubba

Administrator
Manchester isn't that far from the Peak District but the journey can be a real pain because roads get extremely conjested on the Manchester side of the Snake Pass between Glossop and Hyde.

If you get a clear run it'd probably only be 45 minutes or something.

Manchester is probably much more vibrant than Sheffield but can also be quite gnarly in places.

Stu

as an glossop resident i can concur with bubba. avoid like the plague. from manchester centre the least troublesome way imho would be head for stockport and follow for buxton. disley can be a bit of a pain, but less than glossop, and it would take you straight to places like stoney, or matlock if you carried on the A6. i made manc centre to sheff centre in 1'30", it was wednesday night, so glossop was empty but i had to contend with football traffic and a quick stop to say hello to me mam!! and i wasnt driving fast, 4*4's can't....and we'd lost :cry:

Stu

even better. M6 to A65 junction. we did glossop to the motorway (which is about the same distqnce to travel from manc to motorway) then to ingleton in 1'15" and no real breakneck speeding, again 4*4 dont do speed. even tha aa route planner puts it at 1'24" and i find them pessimistic with the timings. imagine... the dales almost as quick as the peak!!!!!

H

Huw Groucutt

So Manc is quite good really then cos you can get to derbyshite and dales pretty easily.

Need to make my final choice of uni pretty soon, think its a choice between sheffield and manchester.

Stu

sheffield takes at least 2 hours to ingleton. imho it feels a long way for a day trip. manc to dales is easier on mind/soul for a one day trip.

Rachel

I live in Ingleton and have family in Manchester (Salford) - it's about an hour and 20 mins door to door.

Rachel

mudmonkey

Sheffield every time :D

Closer to the crags (can easily cycle to 'em from town), closer to the caves (less than an hour even when you take getting-out-of-Sheffield-time - 30-40 mins on a good run). Dales only 2 hrs or so, and the Peak is an easy bet for an evening trip. SUSS are very active (maybe I'm biased....) and we always need more diggers :chase:

Don't know Manchester but having lived here 2 years after Bristol and Cambridge, Sheffield is a very friendly city, and easy to escape. If only there were jobs for when I need to get one.....

bubba

Administrator
More like 20 mins to the caves from Sheffield!

One of the main advantages is the relatively open access situation with many of the Peak caves. If you fancy an evening trip you just grab your kit and go - there's no permit system for the majority of caves so you can just do trips as and when you want.

SamT

Was a student in manchester for 5 years - don't miss it one little bit. Manchester has a more vibrant night life than sheffield, that much is true - but it is also a knarly place, I certainly dont miss the looking over your shoulder constantly.

Sheffield is a much more friendly place. the nightlife is there and it has to be said - its bloody close to the peak.

If you've not really caved in Derbyshire or the Dales then you will be able to do both. There is plenty of time to get to the dales on a saturday/sunday - and then the peak for evening trips/wednesday afternoons. In reality - getting from manchester to the dales is still a bit of a hike, 1hour 20. so whats an extra 40 mins in the car of a weekend if your coming from sheffield.

Brendan

I'm a student in Sheffield at the minute and it is excellent. Night life here is good - even if Manchester may be better (don't know, not been out there). SUSS (uni club) are very active, and do plenty in the Peaks and the Dales. It's only 2 hrs to Ingleton which isn't too bad, and you can get to most of the Peaks stuff within 45 mins, without having to go over Snake Pass.

And the climbing is infinitely better....

newcastlecaver

I am at Newcastle Uni and i can get to the dales in less time from here than i can from my home town of Sheffield so it isn't that close for dales caving but the short drive from sheff to castleton etc and the rest of the peak district is so close it is well worth being in sheffield!

underground

newcastlecaver said:
I am at Newcastle Uni and i can get to the dales in less time from here than i can from my home town of Sheffield so it isn't that close for dales caving but the short drive from sheff to castleton etc and the rest of the peak district is so close it is well worth being in sheffield!

So what's this about offering "Mr. Smith" a cup of coffee? :?:

newcastlecaver

it was a bit of a random rant about nothing, impressed that you have been trawling through our website though! We do honestly love Derbyshire, I hadn't read that trip report for ages, it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt i think!

underground

newcastlecaver said:
it was a bit of a random rant about nothing, impressed that you have been trawling through our website though! We do honestly love Derbyshire, I hadn't read that trip report for ages, it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt i think!

Perhaps a large pinch of salt, especially since 'Mr. Smith' somehow becomes someone else in the next sentence, and is depicted as less than nice....
Still, glad you like Derbyshire... agree on the eatery comments though!

A

ausec

Ever tried offering :evil: "Mr. Smith" :evil: a cup of coffee?

By the way, I agree about the pinch of salt suggestion, some idiot's ruined a perfectly good trip report by censoring all the swearing. Tch.