Caving is sizeist

bubba

Administrator
Being a large lad myself, I have trouble getting my 44in (probably bigger now) chest down these minging tight little holes that midget's like SamT can just run down.

Because of this horrifically unjust state of affairs - I can't help being big-boned (and none of your smart-arse comments about pies please :wink:) I propose a caving handicap system. When going out on group trips the smaller cavers of the party shall be bound up with duct tape to make them the same size as the larger people, then there'll be none of this "what squeeze?" crap as I nearly crack my ribs trying to follow them.

M

mudman

Sounds like a good idea to me.
What about height handicaps though? Shorties are often jealous of the taller caver's ability to just "step up" whereas they have a small climb.
Could always duct tape around the knees to reduce the height of step/length of stride.

bubba

Administrator
Too right, can't have them shorties and tallies at any advantage over normal sized folk - anyone who deviates from 5'10" should be handicapped by either wearing big platforms or by having they're belt tied to their ankles to stop 'em standing up properly.

SamT

:twisted:

So after a life time of tourment and teasing from the playground to the pub I find something where my diminutive stature is an advantage.
15 years of rock climbing muttering under my breath and cursing jonny dawes cause - " cant reach the holds" just wont cut it as an excuse.

Tough shit largies - keep up if you can. :p

cap n chris

Tis a problem, being a keen lard-eater and bit of a Johnny Pies. Mind you, console yourself with the following - who rescues the stickpeople when they get wedged?... at least if you're planetsize there's always going to be someone twiggy who can get to you.

Remember that a cave, by definition, is an underground void large enough to allow the passage of a person... so if you can't fit in it yourself, then it's not a cave as far as you're concerned... it's just a narrow fissure.

:mrgreen:

E

eyecave

as a smaller member of the caving community i would like to point out :eek:
who the heck is it that the larger guys ask to push the tighter places huh???..... i am tired of listening to you larger mudpuppies lame excuses about simply not being able to fit whil :x
Made not offering to dig the passage open to make it a borehole for me!!........... :shock:
.........seriously, most the cavers i know are normal to small in size.....