Big Hotel in Stoney Dale gets planning approval

pwhole

At the very least the planners could be informed of the cave and mine wealth they're siting themselves within - who knows, they may actually entertain cavers in some fashion if they think it can work?

AR

This has been kicking around for a while now, it's partly on the site of the old Lords Cupola smelter. I did look over the application with my PDMHS conservation officer hat on but concluded that it was unlikely to uncover anything that hadn't been trashed already.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Developing a brown field site has got to be a good thing.  The hotelier business will provide lots of jobs but most will be low paid.  A young couple with full time jobs at the hotel may still not be able to afford a mortgage for the area.  If locals don't fill the jobs then management will look outside the area and this ends up causing resentment locally.  This isn't a Stoney problem it's a problem in many rural areas.

Generally speaking there's only room for a few large hotels in each rural area, National Park etc (most are converted from stately type homes) but those that seem to fit in best are the smaller rural boutique retreats, eco-friendly type places as well as your camping and hostel accommodation.  Anyway good luck to them and I hope it works out well.

royfellows

OK I take on board whats been said, but
I find the Bentley on the simulation a bit of a point to ponder on, as in "Is this the section of society that new developments are targeted at"?

droid

royfellows said:
I find the Bentley on the simulation a bit of a point to ponder on, as in "Is this the section of society that new developments are targeted at"?

Almost certainly.

And a fair few of the Bentley owners will be local, given the house prices in the Peak generally.

SamT

Fixed That Image for you.....

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    568.4 KB · Views: 111

Rob

droid said:
Badlad said:
  A young couple with full time jobs at the hotel may still not be able to afford a mortgage for the area.
There's no 'may' about it.

I see the point but suggest this is not necessarily true. Yes, house prices in national parks can be higher than average, but that's not to say there aren't cheap options available. Non-idyllic locations and/or ex-council houses can be quite affordable.

Certainly there's many low pay jobs in the Peak that are done by locals currently....