Caplecleugh High Level - Nenthead

Balmerfish

Return to Caplecleugh High Level

This is a sequel, this is part two.  My daughter?s love of the underground world was never to be a surprise.  It seems the most natural thing in the world.  Watching Elise tick off school caving trips with eagerness is sources of inspiration.  Progressing from the junior caving trips to the seniors group, developing, exercising the delights of SRT has held fond observation.
Caves and Mines offer rich fodder to teenagers wanting to prove their salt.  Lessons to be practised - the ability to demonstrate an understanding of responsibilities for themselves and to others.  This isn't a caving report that chronicles, we went, we saw ? it?s about mine exploration and the experiences retained.
It?s difficult to appreciate how foreboding Caplecleugh High Level (CHL) is until a return is had.  One lingers with flashbacks of the delights that await us.  The anticipation and experience afforded by a first visit blurs the edges of memory - It leaves a thumb print on me.  This time the moment will be savoured.  We have a new reveller - my daughter Elise.
Exactly one month ago we were on CHL, with me at that time not understanding the course to be taken and my friends? previous explorations had been relied upon to navigate the journey and previous explorations held a tempting notion that we might walk in the less travelled areas.
Thinking about explorations by Roy Fellows, imaginations run wild about what must it be like to undertake a solo visit to this world - a domain filled with, mud, dodgy-looking pitches, times gone by and a bit more mud!  What demands drove the original miners on?  What resolve did the original explorers hold?  Dare it be believed that we might hold similar gritty determination to forge new passages?
Having been sucked into the arteries that lead to the heart of Caplecleugh a handful of times now, persistent questions fill my consciousness; would Caplecleugh feel familiar, would she let us find her hidden riddles - would we keep those secrets.  Why does Caplecleugh hold such an interest to me - no explanation, can be submitted?
Weather conditions could not have been more starkly contrasted to our last visit.  Four weeks ago Nenthead car park had been blanketed in snow; today a bright spring morning.  We changed in a brisk manner, seeking the warmth of the underground, protecting us from the wind and snow.
Today is different - spring was about to spring into action.  Deciding to bring my offspring, three friends became four, so we are off, progressing at a good pace, through water, following the incline.  Easy sections mastered, lurking at the back of my mind are the shale falls.  When the realisation hits, these obstacles have already been entered.  It?s best to make myself physically smaller, emotionally stronger and mentally bigger.  Looking around trying to find a point that might look familiar isn't easy.  The problem is that this place is more akin to a river that changes course, moves boulders and carves new paths.  Caplecleugh provides a new test; this visit offers something different - there is no path - staring at the blocks of shale that now have closed a door to your proposed passage.  Assessing the situation with my friends, Ian looks determined.  Suddenly the penny drops that Ian has an idea.
Upon hearing ?I reckon I can sort this, if I just move this a little bit? guys there may be a loud bang, nothing to be worried about?.
Turning to face Leif, we communicate primarily with a set of eye rolls, grimaces and gasps.  Ian, as promised, opens up the passageway; a reminder that mines are in a constant state of flux.  Ian treats us to small opening that resembles a house or cards.  Fascinated as to Ian?s demeanour of calm in situations like this, me and Leif furiously throw looks at each other of ?what on earth is he doing?, whilst casually Ian points out some interesting fossil formations he has noted in the freshly fallen shale.
Ian suggested we pass the bags through to him.  One by one very gingerly, our bags are conveyed.  Travellers and bags are through, relief washes over - able to relax for a while, however knowing there will be more times that will provide similar feelings. For now the area I lose sleep over is negotiated, and has let us continue.
As customary a quick check that everyone is feeling fine is offered.  Asking Elise twice, second time she responds.  She holds a look that makes me consider, if she has bitten off more than she can chew.
After the long stooping passages and crawls filled with mud, cooler water is welcomed, remembering to zip up my wetsuit when entering the deeper sections. We trundle to Toilet Box Junction.  It?s funny how Toilet Box Junction has become a picnic spot in my mind, recalling memories of previous trips eating pork pies, tales told and adventures had.  Today what insights to myself will Archer?s Rise hold this time?  Should Archers Rise afford Elise insights into herself?  Deliberations are held spending more time explaining to Elise that it?s always harder first time. Trying to share how mentally taxing Caplecleugh is first time round to offer fortitude.
Order of ascending Archer?s Rise is agreed - Leif will lead Elise up the tortuous sections.
Leif bravely offers to haul the bags; this is keenly accepted, noting Elise?s reduced enthusiasm for being a Sherpa.  I watch them disappear into grotty avenues, joining Leif and Elise at the sub level window, Elise is progressing well.  Experiencing mixed emotions around this point it has to be noted.  It?s wrong to say my mind is racing; cognitions can move fast yet be calm and considered, I appraise.  In my mind?s eye I can see Elise eagerly asking time and time again - when can I go to Caplecleugh.  I puzzle if those ambitions are curtailed.
Archer?s Rise is a toothy section; don't poke it, because it might bite back.  Walls are supported with Calcite, laid down over decades.  Leif and Elise lead off, using ascenders on ropes that are probably older than Elise.
Arriving with Ian at Roy Fellows? dig site, this seems vaguely familiar - a welcoming thought.  Rusted bars herald the gates to the next section.  Crawling elevates my temperature, mud returns with a vengeance, no longer bothering to try and wipe it off.  The ability to continue to move forward is sharply focused.
We move to the next section; Leif and Elise are not there, bags hauled are reminders they have been.  Verbalising to Ian ?where the hell are they?, Ian reminds me of their enthusiasm and we head off to a dodgy looking crawl.
Moving through cold water is a little harder.  My new found enemy is the rope bag; curse you drenched ropes!  Ever present in my mind is, how Elise has coped with these challenges.  Catching up with Leif and Elise, at the etchings of Archer?s Rise, keen for another picnic moment - or at least a quickly scoffed Double Decker, we discuss progress to date, glad of my friends.  Excitement mounts - we are in the high level.
Forward motion is beginning to yield fatigue.  This blurs the accuracy of memory.
Eventually the object of our mission is sighted - the shaft we have travelled to explore.  Ian?s enthusiasm for undertaking DIY skills is keenly displayed.  Glancing at Elise - she is cold.  It?s around this time - the penny dropped for Elise that all that she has endured, needs repeating, on the way back - this is no through trip.
Ian, nimble as ever outflanks the shaft, armed with a drill and expansion bolts.  Ropes are placed, human deviations made to prevent rope rub.  Ian descends the shaft, breath held to hear his reports of what lay below.  Looking at my daughter, feeling her very precious, understanding her desire, I consider.
Standing in cold water has a creeping effect.  Usually the first symptoms of being cold are my feet, moving around isn't helping.  No longer making requests of Elise, she is told to sit on the ledge, taking her out of the water.  She is cold and spirits need to be lifted.
Ian?s request for Leif to form a human deviation for the rope, to prevent rope rub provides this.  Ian pops his head back up the shaft smiling, myself and Leif wrestling the rope were informed it wasn't required.  Leif is excited to explore the shaft, but it?s set aside because party members are cold.  Excitement is not my current thought.
This is when my friends are awesome - it doesn't matter what was actually down that shaft.  Leif tells Ian, we should head back, our youngest traveller is cold.  Standing around in CHL is never a done deal.  Elise realises her through trip isn't a possibility; it is sucked up and dealt with.
Heading home is never as tricky as heading in.  SRT kit is assembled and checked.  Pre-drilled routine means working though my mental check list as to responsibility.  We offer jokes to Elise, her kit is checked as she is tired.  Ian heads down first, the usual order is I head down next, wanting a tired Elise to be shepherded to easier sections, to enjoy the rest of the trip.  Exchanging my usual looks with Leif, this time words are added, ?Do you want me to go next or Elise??  I'm met with what I expected to hear, I should head down next.  Happy that Elise is in safe hands, Archer?s Rise is waved a goodbye, having let us all safely exit.
Arriving at the final pitch sees me armed with camera; Elise?s thousand yard stare will be a source of much amusement.
Toilet Box Junction is passed, we are heading out spirits high.  Words are offered to
Elise - the shale falls are always easier in reverse.
The time taken to travel out of Caplecleugh offers time for reflection.  Dealing with sentiments internally, was it the right move to feed Elise?s curiosity with this little family outing.
Risks were observed; however confidence in friends and Elise remains firm, strides lengthen, a breeze is felt.
Beginning to catch a note of fresh air is always a magic feeling. Every moment enjoyed, we exit; now I can enjoy every second above ground a little more.  Many times I have tried to describe the sensation of inner calm felt leaving the underground.  The physical and mental exhaustion calms the body.
The Miners Arms are a calling, all needing a well-deserved drink.  No thousand-yard stare is observed - Elise?s eyes light up at the prospect of half a cider.  Times underground are recalled, future plans laid down.  Ian orders a pint, which alters the structure of the universe.
Questions remain regarding Caplecleugh high level, the connections it may hold.

Anyone interested in the outcome my friends blog https://indarkestshades.wordpress.com/2017/04/08/caplecleugh-high-level-06042017/