MCRA Logbooks and Publications website

PeteHall

11 May 2020 - After many satisfying years with BCA Web Services the website hosting is being transferred. This has caused the Logbook viewer to be temporarily off-line. It will be replaced in a few days with a new and improved version.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that a Mendip organisation is moving away from BCA hosting right now, or am I drawing unfounded conclusions?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting.  It was a good service at one time for the BCA to offer hosting to caving clubs, groups, orgs, and Cookie did a good job with this for many years (credit where credit is due).  In recent years several people have questioned whether BCA need to continue this service as it a draw on volunteer time and the open market is full of cheap service providers.  Nearly all of these can offer as good or a better service for similar money.  This BCA service is almost certainly going to be phased out so I expect the MCRA have acted sooner rather than later.

langcliffe

aardgoose said:

Thanks for that. So the 12-year old now-abandoned phpGraphy is being replaced? I started using it for the BCRA Online Archive, but found it incredibly tedious to use. I wrote my own look-alike, together with a conversion program, which has since made life a lot easier.

One of the advantages of moving away from the BCA servers is that one is not obliged to deal with incredibly out-of-date versions of PHP.