Suit for caving needed

cavingtesla96

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has a spare suit to sell, I?m 5ft 9? and 75kg 12.5 stone. I have no clue what suit size I am any help would be much appreciated thanks guys  :bow:

PeteHall

Might be worth a look on ebay. A quick search for "caving suit" brings up several very reasonably priced listing for oversuits and undersuits (albeit with some time to run on the auction).

If you are handy with a needle and thread, I have several wrecked oversuits in need of repair that I just don't have time to fix right now, so would be happy to pass on for a donation to your local cave rescue.
Got a choice of Warmbac, lightweight Warmbac (with a thinner top half), Meander (cordura), or even a couple of old PVC Meander suits. All are beyond use in their current state, but repairable if you have time and don't want to shell out for a new one. Located near Bristol / Mendip, but in the Dales this weekend and often in South Wales.

Everything vaguely serviceable is still in use and not for sale :)

Pitlamp

For a cheap but toasty warm "undersuit", get two woollen jumpers from a charity shop. Wear one as normal and the other upside down like a pair of trousers.

I kid you not - I can still remember this being done by certain cavers, when I was a child.

I can also remember people caving in a fertiliser bag with holes cut for head and arms. Who said caving is an expensive pastime?

grahams

I had a mate who used to cave in his crimplene suit on the Saturday then dust it off and go to the youth club in the suit on Sunday evening. That suit survived the 60 mile cycle rides to the caves, the Dow Cave Mudmine, Sleets Gill and the interminable Scosca crawl, and still retained its creases.

Graigwen

David Rose said:
Or indeed a morning, lounge or dinner suit?

(I wouldn't wear any of them caving, by the way.)

For many years before I switched back from mines to caves I went underground in pin striped suits. (Any members of the Welsh Mines Society on this forum might remember me doing that as it often drew comments.) I still use pin striped suit jackets although I accept they are not so suitable for caves - even a little cave like Ogof Pig Melyn can destroy a jacket in one trip.

Graigwen

grahams said:
I had a mate who used to cave in his crimplene suit....and still retained its creases.

Crimplene suit !

I phrase I never expected to hear in the twenty-first century.

Graigwen

grahams said:
19s 11 1/2d from Burtons.

Another phrase I did expect to hear!

The Burtons brand was characterised by a consistent style of shop front made from very attractive Larvikite. The type used became known as Burtonite.