Count your freshers...

Yikes, I'll pass the advice on to Aber! Genuinely impressive in a worrying way.

"He began searching around the cave and found a paper clip. He used it to saw at the padlock for six hours. But, it was a steel lock, and he wasn?t getting anywhere."

CatM

langcliffe said:
Surely this is the best of all arguments for not gating caves?
Or for making gates like on OFD where you can open from the inside without a key...

Poor guy. Crazy they didn't notice he was missing!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

andrewmcleod

CatM said:
langcliffe said:
Surely this is the best of all arguments for not gating caves?
Or for making gates like on OFD where you can open from the inside without a key...

Poor guy. Crazy they didn't notice he was missing!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Ideally all gates should do this, even if it's just a case of mounting a key for the padlock in a smashable box on the inside or something...

Subpopulus Hibernia

Sam Richards said:
Genuinely impressive in a worrying way.

There is something oddly endearing in the sheer stupefying human failure of it all.

I love how the missing caver just went home to bed in his dorm after it was all over. He seemed pretty sound about the whole 'accidentally almost causing his slow death from starvation and dehydration' thing.

Mark Wright

It's not just the Uni clubs that need to take a head count.

The Eldon did the same thing, I think for a similar duration, down Oxlow many years ago.

Mark

Minion

Graigwen said:
Sam Richards said:

Are Aber particularly prone to doing this?

I hope so. I am trying to get my two cousins to join Aber CC. Bonus points for losing them both at the same time  :beer:

Les W

One of the university groups accidentally left one of their freshers in Burrington some years ago, drove back to the Belfry, packed up and went home. Said member managed to get a lift back to the Belfry later to find them all gone.

If I remember correctly, Jrat put an advert into the Lost and Found section of Descent...  :LOL:

andys

Is there a Guinness World Record for "length of time fresher left underground"? If so, then come on you UK Uni clubs - lets not let yet another world record live on the other side of the pond!

AR

Mark Wright said:

The Eldon did the same thing, I think for a similar duration, down Oxlow many years ago.

I've heard that particular tale from Bob Dearman IIRC, wasn't it immortalised in print as "The Dwarf Caver's Lament"?

Mark Wright

AR said:
Mark Wright said:

I've heard that particular tale from Bob Dearman IIRC, wasn't it immortalised in print as "The Dwarf Caver's Lament"?

Indeed it was. Keith Joule used to do an excellent rendition of it back in the 80's.

Gordon Parkin, the one they left behind, is still around. He was at the recent Eldon anniversary party in Buxton.

Mark

shotlighter

Mark Wright said:
AR said:
Mark Wright said:

Indeed it was. Keith Joule used to do an excellent rendition of it back in the 80's.

Gordon Parkin, the one they left behind, is still around. He was at the recent Eldon anniversary party in Buxton.

Mark
This?

CAVERS LAMENT
C F C G
As I was out walking the streets of old Castleton,
C F C G
As I was out walking down Castleton way
C F C G
I met a young caver all dressed in a wetsuit
Am Dm G C
All wrapped in a polybag covered in clay.

I see by your wetsuit that you are a caver
These words he did say as he watched me walk by,
Come sit down beside me I?ll tell my sad story,
Abandoned down Oxlow they left me to die.

?Twas once in this district I used to go caving,
?Twas once in this district I had my hey day,
Till press ganged by Eldon to dig the connection
Twixt Oxlow and Nettle through tons of wet clay.

They dressed me in wetsuit and gave me a shovel
And took me down Oxlow the very next day,
They set me to digging and then made their exit
Saying we?ll ladder Nettle you can come out that way.

Now when one is digging one loses direction
And in a great circle its easy to go,
And so that was how after eight hours digging
I?d done a great circle and was back in Oxlow.

?You cad sir, you cad sir, you?ve let us down bad sir,
Direction of Nettle an idiot should know,
For that you can stay here no booze and no water,
And what ever happens no DCRO.

Fulk

andys:
Is there a Guinness World Record for "length of time fresher left underground"? If so, then come on you UK Uni clubs - lets not let yet another world record live on the other side of the pond!

I have a recollection of reading something in American Caving Accidents from years ago of a couple of cavers who went looking for potting clay (!) in a cave on private land, the owner of which wouldn't give access to cavers. From memory, it seems that this couple had a camper van and used to go off at short notice on their adventures, thus when they just lit out and didn't re-appear for days on end the neighbours simply didn't worry. Apparently (again from memory) they parked their van by the side of the road and snuck into the aforementioned cave, where, for some reason, they experienced light failure and were stuck there. Several days passed by, and a local guy going to and from work noticed the said camper van parked by the side of the road, with no sign of activity from day to day. After a long time ? could it have been 10 days? ? he decided to do something about it, and alerted the authorities, who tracked down the couple from their licence plates; their neighbours said that they were cavers, and the local rescue team searched the (most obvious nearby) cave, and found the couple in a desperately emaciated state, but still alive.

OK it's not the same as being left behind, but it has the same effect; I thing that we've long way to go to wrest the record from across the pond.

I'll try to find the source of the story over the next couple of days.

mikem

A Frenchman got himself lost underground for 34 days:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/1481910/Lost-man-survives-34-days-in-caves.html

& the article in the Mirror about the student includes a link to a Chinese pensioner who was down a well for 9 days:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/elderly-woman-lost-down-well-7376739

Interestingly the number of accidents per year in the US seems to have halved, whilst membership of the NSS almost doubled during the 1980/90s:
http://swiss-cave-diving.ch/PDF-dateien/NSS-CavingAccidents_2009-2010.pdf

Mike

Graigwen

Minion said:
Graigwen said:
Sam Richards said:

Are Aber particularly prone to doing this?

I hope so. I am trying to get my two cousins to join Aber CC. Bonus points for losing them both at the same time  :beer:

I sent my nephew and a number of my students to Aber with advice to join the caving club, none did.

In the old days Aber CC even took young school kids caving, claiming it was "outreach work". None were ever lost, I found one in particular difficult to shake off...

caving_fox

I know our club managed to derig a cave with a pair of people still in it - they'd taken a wrong turn on the way out and unbeknownst been passed by the de-rig team.  However they were quickly missed once everyone else was back at the hut, and relief rope sent after only a couple of hours wait. I wasn't on the trip and don't recall which cave it was.

Several non-caving friends have been kind enough to share the US story to me!