Hidden Earth try dive pool sessions

DaveR

It's a bit last minute, but there will be a try diving pool session at Hidden Earth this year.

Wondered what it's like to breathe and swim underwater?

Open water diver wondering what cave diving equipment is like to use?

Just curious?

We'll have both open water equipment and cave diving gear there, so just bring a swimming cossie or T shirt and shorts (naked diving will be allowed but only if you're young, female and beautiful) and come have a go or just a chat with the cave divers.

All welcome. No experience necessary.

Saturday at 3:30pm for two hours in the pool at the venue. No charge.

Cheers, Dave

Tommy

Ugh.

What proportion of UK cave divers are female?

One of my clubmates rightly pointed out that this isn't a great recruiting strategy...

Good idea having a try-dive at HE though! Hope it runs smoothly.

andrewmcleod

Topimo said:
Ugh.

One of my clubmates rightly pointed out that this isn't a great recruiting strategy...

Good idea having a try-dive at HE though! Hope it runs smoothly.

I was thinking the same thing...

busty_caver

Henry Bennett would like to take part in the try dive.  If you don't mind I'll bring my dive kit and underwater camera and take some photos of him underwater (and others if they want it).  If you don't want me there let me know, not a problem.  :)

busty_caver

p.s. I won't go naked but do have a nice bikini! I'll make sure Henry wears a thin wetsuit or t-shirt.  Don't want him scaring anyone! lol

mikem

That's usually the joke when there's a hefty charge for the activity, not when it's free anyway....

Mike

Emsy

oops. That has been a long running joke about the Hidden Earth pool sessions for many years but I appreciate its not to everyone's taste. Its also not about the CDG. I am a female CDG diver  and have been for a few years. All I can say is that it  is not a  reflection of my experience of being in the Group.TBH  It would be nice if we had more female divers who were keen and interested in exploration.  :)

christine

One of the said female cave divers will be talking at the caving conference tomorrow on her exploration project. 15:30 I believe.
That's if I ever get off this motorway... :mad:

DaveR

Sense of humour failure anyone?

Most of those who turned up were either female or children, so apparently no harm done.

I apologise humbly for bringing myself into disrepute (no other organisation was mentioned by me - I was just picking up the pieces when HE was let down at the very last minute) and for being a misogynist  dinosaur.

Some people had fun, no one died, and I hope dry cavers felt they got a small thankyou for supporting cave diving. The pool didn't go too muddy.

Just off to punish myself soundly.

Dave

BTW. I do hope some criticism will be aimed at the producer of the set of underground bondage photos in the salon. Or is tying women up with rope in uncomfortable positions to dominate them more politically correct than a harmless joke?  I think the word 'irony' may need looking up by some. A good friend of mine once made a 'rascist' comment in an HE lecture. The irony was he had more foreign friends than anyone I know. Irony. Google it.

DaveR

And 'busty caver'; thanks for coming, Henry seemed to enjoy himself. I think I did a very good job of not looking at your chest, even though your nickname does draw attention to it! I'd consider changing it (the nickname that is, not the chest) in case you offend someone Max!

Think I might be digging myself into a deeper hole here... Oh yes, I'm a caver; that's what we do! Sorry, forgot.

:) Dave

A_Northerner

DaveR said:
A good friend of mine once made a 'rascist' comment in an HE lecture. The irony was he had more foreign friends than anyone I know.

Wait did you seriously just pull the old "he's not racist, loads of his friends are foreign" cliche in near verbatim? I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here, the same goes for your comment claiming that most of the people that showed up were women/children; "I'm not being sexist, loads of women showed up".

Nobody who objected to your joke is denying that it was a joke - obviously you weren't literally saying that if someone was "young, female and beautiful" they could dive naked. People were objecting to it being an unnecessarily lecherous comment in what is apparently an official CDG announcement.

Pitlamp

2xw said:
Pitlamp said:
Topimo said:
Ugh.

Not many - but most of the ones we have are really dedicated and very good at it.

Oh that makes casual letchery okay then

I've read your comment above several times and pondered on it; I'm not entirely sure if it refers to my comment or to the one I responded to, included above. So, to be absolutely clear, my words were genuine; we have several female members in the CDG and they are very good divers. And why shouldn't they be?

So I'm still scratching my head, trying to understand why you replied with those words . . . . .

royfellows

I have just read through this thread with some disbelief.

No offence, and I know some see 'offence' everywhere, but I think a lot of people need to lighten up.

Pitlamp

There was an interesting "Thought For the Day" feature on Radio 4 very early this morning, which touched on this sort of situation. It revolved around asking yourself the question "Did the person intend to upset you personally?" If the answer is no, then we were advised to keep things in proportion.

Perhaps we should be thanking the bloke who ran the pool session, for the effort he put into organising it, as the main focus of this topic?

Duncan Price

2xw said:
Oh that makes casual letchery okay then

I agree, though perhaps I'm prejudiced by repeatedly hearing a story concerning two female Scandinavians who turned up at a previous HE for a try dive without swimming costumes - its not so much the message, but more the delivery.

Well done Dave for organising the Try Dive at HE.

I did find the "bondage" photo set a bit uncomfortable.

pwhole

So what's the fine artistic point being made with naked-caver calendars then, if they're (presumably) 'OK' for public discourse? We have the SUSS one in our library.

DaveR

At no point is/was the CDG mentioned, and the CDG was not involved in any way.

And that is my final comment on this topic as frankly life is just too short for bullshit of this order.

Very probably the last try dive session at HE too for one reason and another.

I knew there was a reason I avoid internet forums...

Dave