"Caves Of Northern Derbyshire" available.

Pitlamp

I hope no-one minds my posting this here (rather than in "For Sale") but this is of specific interest to Peak District cavers. In 1975 a series of five publications appeared entitled "Caves Of Northern Derbyshire". Written by Dave Elliott they describe most of the caves to the west of the Peak Speedwell system. There are many surveys and the descriptions of the caves (together with many of the associated mines) are detailed and extremely useful, as are the reference lists. These publications are not especially easy to find but a complete set, in good condition, has come my way. The 5 volumes are subtitled:

1. Eldon Hill
2. Giants - Oxlow System
3. Perryfoot / Coalpithole
4. Rushup Edge Swallets
5. Treak Cliff Hill

Apart from being invaluable to any exploring caver these are now becoming a bit of a collector's item. So if someone wants this complete set, in exchange for a reasonable donation to the CDG Ingleton compressor fund, it's yours. (I don't want to split the set.)

Pitlamp

I just want them to end up in a good home with someone who would appreciate them (and look after them) and generate a little coin for a worthy cause in the process. So - please can someone make a realistic suggestion for their donation.

Pitlamp

OK folks - I've had a number of extremely generous offers by PM but Mark was the person who was first with his offer - so I've agreed he can have them. I have told him to give me half of what he offered because I thought that was a fair amount. This was never about looking for the highest bidder - it was all about making sure they go to a good home and supporting a worthy cause in the process.

Many thanks to all those who also showed interest. You may like to know that I have been entrusted with a large collection of material which will be made available in a similar way in due course. I first need to produce a complete list, which is taking time (because I keep stopping and reading things; you know how it is). Once this list is complete I'll post a notice here so you can then email me for a copy of it.

As an aside, I am slightly alarmed at the prices which caving journals sometimes exchange hands for. These journals were originally produced to aid those involved in continuing exploration / research. So in my opinion it's far more important that they go to people who will appreciate their real value (as opposed to their cost) than getting a load of money for them. Anyway, I'll put something up on this forum in due course (probably 2 or 3 weeks). Please don't email me in the meantime asking for a copy as soon as it's available - because I'll forget!

Pitlamp

OK Folks - I have the list just about completed. Anyone interested send me a PM containing your proper email address then I'll send you the list.

underground

Pitlamp said:
OK folks - I've had a number of extremely generous offers by PM but Mark was the person who was first with his offer - so I've agreed he can have them. I have told him to give me half of what he offered because I thought that was a fair amount. This was never about looking for the highest bidder - it was all about making sure they go to a good home and supporting a worthy cause in the process.

Many thanks to all those who also showed interest. You may like to know that I have been entrusted with a large collection of material which will be made available in a similar way in due course. I first need to produce a complete list, which is taking time (because I keep stopping and reading things; you know how it is). Once this list is complete I'll post a notice here so you can then email me for a copy of it.

As an aside, I am slightly alarmed at the prices which caving journals sometimes exchange hands for. These journals were originally produced to aid those involved in continuing exploration / research. So in my opinion it's far more important that they go to people who will appreciate their real value (as opposed to their cost) than getting a load of money for them. Anyway, I'll put something up on this forum in due course (probably 2 or 3 weeks). Please don't email me in the meantime asking for a copy as soon as it's available - because I'll forget!

Good man John, positive karma coming your way I hope  :)

missholli_87

Hi there, I know this is an old thread but I needed some advice and on the internet the link to this thread is all I can find. I also have this collection available; Caves of Northern Derbyshire Parts 1-5. They belonged to my father and as such I have no idea what they would sell for but have been told that they are collectable and so I wondered if someone could advise me as to how much these journals are likely to sell for before I list them on an on line auction site or take them to a local book dealer.

My father also doesnt want the set split and would also like them to go to a good home where they would be looked after and appreciated!

Many thanks

Pitlamp

You could put them on here and ask for offers, like I did. They would be sure to go to someone who would really appreciate them whereas a general internet sales outlet might result in them ending up in not such a good home.

I had a good response from here because these journals are still extremely useful to exploration cavers.

Hi Miss Holli,

I would be happy to buy these from you. How much do you want for them?

You can message me directly.

Many thanks,

Andy

cavermark

With out of print items such as this, is there an option for them to be scanned and put online for all to access? (I don't know what the copyright issues are).
It is nice to own original books and many "collectors" will still do this. I'm sure a visit to Mark's toilet is a fine experience (Wendy might not feel the same way about lots of people doing this!) but for me personally, being able to look at the information without carrying books around (when I am at work offshore for example) would be really handy...