Graffitti in Devonshire cavern

benshannon

Hi, I was in Devonshire cavern the other night with a friend and he said this graffiti in the lower series was new and that I should report it here.

Attachments

• P2270107.jpg
    P2270107.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 284

Pete K

Unfortunately it also seems the new top entrance gate has already been vandalised too. Stick a small scouring pad in your suit pocket is my advice, there is no specific 'clean-up crew' but there are a few locals who keep an eye on things. Best thing is to scrub it off as you come across it though.

Oscar D

It?s a shame thins like this happen. I?m not a fan of gates or permits but it seems as though these are the best way to prevent vandalism. As effective as the Derbyshire key system is, It will not stop someone who comes prepared with a spanner. I?ll be going there in a couple of weeks and I?ll bring some brushes to remove any that i find. Is there much history of vandalism in Devonshire as although there is a few sites in the area that have been affected, I haven?t heard of any at Devonshire before now.

Pete K

Bits and bobs, it's had a small cleanup or 2 over the years.
Gates prevent access to those who are at risk by going in a site, like kids. Gates, especially DCA ones, can be accessed by any explorer who asks for a code or has a spanner. A gate does not prevent vandalism IMO. Better education, less 'like' whores on YouTube and some care with social media is probably more useful.
That said, it'll continue to occasionally happen, we'll clean it up, fix the gate and move on to the next job.

royfellows

Pete K said:
Unfortunately it also seems the new top entrance gate has already been vandalised too. Stick a small scouring pad in your suit pocket is my advice, there is no specific 'clean-up crew' but there are a few locals who keep an eye on things. Best thing is to scrub it off as you come across it though.

Odd. I was in there on Wednesday as its my favourite and nearest for testing new experimental lighting.
I looked at the new top gate from inside and it looked OK, and a nice job it is too I may add. It had a combination lock and all looked in good condition.

Pete K

Maybe I'm getting mixed messages then. It's not something I've seen myself yet. Fingers crossed.

benshannon

I wasnt sure on the etiquette but i shall defo take a brush to clean vandalism next time.
I was really saddened in devonshire. I womble everywhere and always strive to clean up, but my god the amount of litter and glass in devonshire is something else. there's a rift low down near the sump absolutely full of allsorts, even a bloody shampoo bottle.  :(

AR

The only significant outbreak of graffiti in recent years was when there was a problem securing the door a few years . As well as removing the door for a good fettling and refitting it so that it would close properly, I wirebrushed out most of the spray (in fluorescent green and pink) from the up-dip workings at that time and removed a load of empty bottles.

A lot of the rubbish you see at various points in Devonshire hasn't been dropped by explorers, it's been tipped down shafts at various points over the years by locals - Kirkland shaft had an old bicycle frame at its base prior to re-opening. If you think it's bad in there, you ought to see some of the more obscure workings down towards Harp Edge!

markpot

We were in there few days ago,everything seems fine. A massive thank you should go to the lads at aclimbatize, espescially tom for his mission with the welder, a fine job, and of course the DCA👍.

ZombieCake

If the graffiti is maybe a perhaps bit old, or looks bit odd, or has a W or M or IP or IB or other initials or looks bit geometric, engraved, or wax or soot written, hang on a moment.  It may be something of note, especially if the cave has been open for a long time.  I've no knowledge of this cave at all by the way, so just a general remark.
If it's recent tossers with metaphorical spray cans then feel free to go all pulp fiction on them as appropriate whilst consuming a Royale with cheese.