Sport caving at the Olympics

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure you'll have heard about the introduction of sport climbing at the Olympics.  I've watched a few rounds and was quite engrossed.  Hopefully it will inspire many more people to have a go at climbing.  It got me thinking that if caving ever got into the Olympics how would it be done?

FYI - Olympic sport climbing is a three part competition.  First speed climbing where you climb a set route to hit a buzzer in the fastest possible time (something like six seconds).  Then there are four boulder problems to complete which even the best in the world can't do all of.  Finally it is the lead climb.  A huge overhanging 15m wall which is enormously difficult.  You are marked on the highest hold you get to and in qualifying no one got to the top!!  Impressive stuff.

pwhole

Does this mean we could get to cheer on Mark Wright stuffing a rope-bag at Paris 2024? :)

aricooperdavis

A similar multi part event would be representative of the variety of skills that the average caver needs. For example

- SRT obstacle course (timed, strict "2 points of attachment" rules)
- Squeeze machine
- Getting into an oversuit by the side of the road (timed, with time penalties for flashing the judges)

All of which must be done after failing a doping test for performance diminishing drugs?

cap n chris

Badlad said:
It got me thinking that if caving ever got into the Olympics how would it be done?

It wouldn't be won by anyone from the UK, is a pretty safe bet, putting it mildly. Overseas caving is decades ahead of us. For example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tDHnDFaBKM

Eds

Digging, definitely. It would provide continuity between competitions - go back 4 years later and see what progress each team had made.

NewStuff

Cap'n Chris said:
It wouldn't be won by anyone from the UK, is a pretty safe bet, putting it mildly. Overseas caving is decades ahead of us. For example...

There's downsides to making kids that young go caving (I know, I'm speaking heresy).

My missus was on a school trip to France. She was made to go caving. Sounds like a squeeze or 3, and while she did it, she's flat refused to even set foot underground in even the easiest walk-in mine or cave I can find. I'm very confident she would if this hadn't of happened. You need to be careful in how you introduce kids to what's a completely alien environment to them.

Paul Marvin

Badlad said:
I'm sure you'll have heard about the introduction of sport climbing at the Olympics.  I've watched a few rounds and was quite engrossed.  Hopefully it will inspire many more people to have a go at climbing.  It got me thinking that if caving ever got into the Olympics how would it be done?

FYI - Olympic sport climbing is a three part competition.  First speed climbing where you climb a set route to hit a buzzer in the fastest possible time (something like six seconds).  Then there are four boulder problems to complete which even the best in the world can't do all of.  Finally it is the lead climb.  A huge overhanging 15m wall which is enormously difficult.  You are marked on the highest hold you get to and in qualifying no one got to the top!!  Impressive stuff.

I think the chances of caving getting to to Olympics are pretty much zero, having said that there are a lot of things there that shouldn't be  :-\,  maybe darts next  :LOL: . But must agree the climbing talent is nothing short of remarkable !

The current sport climbing is using:
Speed Climbing => analogy could be Speed SRT - time to climb, changeover, and descend a 30 m free-hanging single rope

Bouldering => A series of artificial caves with lots of twists, turns and squeezes, where you have to contort your body in a certain way to get through - scored on number of obstacles passed or time taken to complete. Or could be done like the showjumping - scored on fewest artificial stalactites knocked off. Artificial caves could be made transparent for the TV cameras

Lead Climbing => How about an SRT course with pre-fixed anchors where you have to rig as you go - and have to use every anchor provided - perhaps with a few traverses and rebelays along the way. Descend, rigging as you go down, then ascend, derigging as you go back up - fixed time limit

sinker

pwhole said:
Does this mean we could get to cheer on Mark Wright stuffing a rope-bag at Paris 2024? :)

Caving triathlon:

Real ale-drinking / pie-eating / beard-cleaning.

Paul Marvin

sinker said:
pwhole said:

Caving triathlon:

Real ale-drinking / pie-eating / beard-cleaning.

Talking of eating has anybody see this guy eat FFS, not as good as furious pete but still impressive ! :eek: :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Beardmeatsfood

Fishes

Pie eating is a pretty important part of my life but I didn't discover that you could do it without a flat cap until I was over 40. None of that puff pastry nonsense mid you.

wellyjen

Combine with one of the shooting events. Dodging the gamekeeper/farmer to reach an entrance you aren't supposed to be.

ChrisJC

They could get two cavers with opposing views on something contentious, like reform of the BCA or Draenen access. Then just use the same rules as boxing.

Chris.

chunky

I like the idea of the 3 stage competition with points for:

1. Why you can't actually go caving that weekend.

2. Which injuries you are currently suffering with that mean you won't be at peak performance that weekend.

3. Why you would do a long trip but you have to be back to (fill in the excuse) which means you'll have to be out by 3pm

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

markpot

Maybe makita and concrete screws,and a hydro jaw test for the points? Think we should get pwhole up for the qualifying  round (y)