PORTH YR OGOF GUIDE?

Petegro

Hi Guys,

I will be visiting Ystradfellte at the end of the month (31 July-1 August 2016 ) and would love to explore a few caves in this region. I am new to caving, but have had a few lovely experiences in them. It was suggested that a local guide might be a good way to get the best out of the cave/s in this area.

Could anyone please recommend a local guide that would be able to safely show me some of the highlights of Porth yr Ogof or other such caves? Look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks.

Peter

rhychydwr1

Dear Peter

I am available for that weekend and can show you around for ?100 a day.  Alternatively, at PyO there is a resident "Warden" who will sell you a guide to PyO:

THE SECRET WORLD OF PORTH YR OGOF by Martyn Farr  1998  24 pp, many colour photos, survey, printed on art paper SB

for a couple of quid.

Regards - Tony

rhychydwr1

If you Goggle:

PORTH YR OGOF

you will probably know more than me.

Also worth getting a copy of:

THE RIVER SCENERY AT THE HEAD OF THE VALE OF NEATH by F J North Fourth edition (Revised) 1962  101 pp, 31 plates, 31 figs.  An unlikely title for a caving book.  This is in-depth account of Porth yr Ogof and the adjacent caves and karst.  There are also reproductions of old engravings of PYO.  SB