The Arthur Butcher Trophy

I got a surprise email on Monday evening:

?At the Hidden Earth conference yesterday, BCRA awarded you its Arthur Butcher trophy for contributions to cave surveying. This means you get the trophy to keep for ONE YEAR, and a cheque for ?100.?

?BCRA awards the Arthur Butcher prize annually for contributions to cave surveying. The judges consider projects brought to their attention during the year, as well as all surveying work that is on display at the Hidden Earth conference.  This year the award goes to the cavemaps.org archiving project.?

?The judges felt this was a major contribution to the caving community, as it opens up access to information that for many years has been somewhere between secret and obscure. We wished to recognise the sustained effort required to scour caving libraries across the land, scan surveys, do the geo-referencing, and most significantly get the necessary permissions from clubs and authors.?

I wasn?t at Hidden Earth on the Sunday when the award was announced, and seeing as CaveMaps.org is an ?online? thing, it seems appropriate that I pass on my thanks via this online forum.

I am, needless to say, delighted and amazed to receive the award, I really wasn?t expecting it - especially as it is cave surveying prize and I?ve never ever surveyed a cave! Perhaps I need to take up that invite from the Misty Mountain Survey team, to get some firsthand experience.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who has contributed to, supported, or even just visited the site over the last two years. I?m blown away.

speleotel

Just to say that as temporary custodian of one of the collections that you were rummaging/researching in. I was very pleased that the clubs library and archive are a tiny part of your research. Congratulations on the acknowledgement of your effort from Hidden Earth.

stevejw

I have used Cave Maps so many times and value very highly access to this resource. Many Congrats. Well deserved.

sluka

Cave Mapper said:
I got a surprise email on Monday evening:
?At the Hidden Earth conference yesterday, BCRA awarded you its Arthur Butcher trophy for contributions to cave surveying. This means you get the trophy to keep for ONE YEAR, and a cheque for ?100.?

Congratulations!
Just one question, isn't better to use for DeepZoom the standard technology as Zoomify is? It Java based, so no one needs to install M$ plugin. www.zoomify.com

khakipuce

Congratulations, you really deserve the recognition. Gathering together, cataloging and publishing information is a significant and valuable step and really doe move cave surveying on.

Let's hope that those clubs that are struggling with copyright issues get over them so that we can have even more available.

footleg

sluka said:
Just one question, isn't better to use for DeepZoom the standard technology as Zoomify is? It Java based, so no one needs to install M$ plugin. www.zoomify.com

You can browse the surveys using the Seadragon Javascript versions on the cavemaps.org website, without needing to install MS plugins.