J'Rat Digging Awards 2018 - Saturday 24th November

estelle

J?Rat Digging awards 2018

31st August 2018 is the 10th anniversary of Tony Jarratt?s death and we would like to calculate the total of how much new cave passage has been found in Mendip and in Scotland in the past 10 years. If you have found anything during the 10 year period since 31st August 2008 until 31st August 2018 (however small and insignificant you think it may be!) could you please advise Estelle Sandford.
We need the total lengths of all the bigger systems found and progressed since then, however if you know of any smaller or unusual finds please let Estelle know.
This year?s J?Rat award, which will be the 10th, will be held at the Hunters Lodge Inn on Saturday 24th November from 19:30hrs. All claims for the award should be sent to Martin Grass by 31st October.
(please see poster for email addresses to contact)
(if anyone wants a full size poster for their club, please message me and i'll send, but we are aiming to circulate some around the remaining Mendip huts that don't have one yet...)

wl

mrodoc

Presentations on current digs are always welcomed provided the organisers know about it in advance. Even if you cannot attend you could send a brief summary or PP along for showing for example. This has been done in previous years. Video is also welcome. However we would like it in advance as it can get chaotic on the night and presentations can get missed out.

estelle

Just a reminder on the accumulator part of this - happy to take submissions for that for another week or so as this will be part of a display/AV. The actual award submission closed Tuesday.

mrodoc

Congratulations to the GSG contingent for winning the award for 151m by finding the longest cave furthest north in the British Isles. The OR is now an established comedy star too!

mikem

Umm, some of the sea caves in Shetland definitely beat that & how long is Smoo Cave..?

Mike

The Old Ruminator

mrodoc said:
Congratulations to the GSG contingent for winning the award for 151m by finding the longest cave furthest north in the British Isles. The OR is now an established comedy star too!

I have heard you set my valuable contribution to Last of the Summer Wine music. I hope you pointed out that all my huffing and puffing was due to high CO2 and not old age.

mrodoc

Beat me to it Mike! Also the new cave is a proper cave in limestone formed by a stream. Smoo might be longer but it is partly sea cave and the other caves are just sea caves of which there are thousands around the UK.  I can claim to have been in furthest south cave but it is really a sea cave although now high and dry but surprisingly long - Piper's Hole on Tresco in the Scillies. It even has a freshwater lake in it that you can float a boat in.