"Corky the Hat"

P

phil.gregson

Hi Phil. Are you the guy we met once at the Orpheus and instantly dubbed "Corky the Hat"?

Now you mention it it rings an extremely faint bell, although who you are and why you should have christened me such (don't remind me - it probably wasn't for reasons of flattery) I cannot recall as it must have been between 15 and 20 years ago!

Phil

Peter Burgess

phil.gregson said:
Hi Phil. Are you the guy we met once at the Orpheus and instantly dubbed "Corky the Hat"?

Now you mention it it rings an extremely faint bell, although who you are and why you should have christened me such (don't remind me - it probably wasn't for reasons of flattery) I cannot recall as it must have been between 15 and 20 years ago!

Phil
Did you not roll up wearing a most flattering hat with corks dangling all round it? If not, I can't imagine why I associated your name with said apparition.

As this is the only topic for the last year to survive more than three days without being dragged off topic, I thought I would do the honourable thing.

I am sure it was you who gave us detailed written instructions on getting down into Long Rake Mine. Thanks for that - most useful - yes it was about 15 years ago!

P

phil.gregson

Well,

I used to be a member of the Orrifice.  I used to have a hat with corks on (Although the thought that I ever wore it in public fills me with horror!) and the Long-Rake episode rings a distinct bell.

In which case I must hold up my hands and admit that I am, obviously, the hat-wearing delinquent in question - Hello again - good trip down Long-Rake?

Phil

Peter Burgess

phil.gregson said:
Well,

I used to be a member of the Orrifice.  I used to have a hat with corks on (Although the thought that I ever wore it in public fills me with horror!) and the Long-Rake episode rings a distinct bell.

In which case I must hold up my hands and admit that I am, obviously, the hat-wearing delinquent in question - Hello again - good trip down Long-Rake?

Phil

Probably! I can't remember now, I'm an old git with poor memory. Can't even put names to faces. Only to hats.

Paul Thorne, however, hasn't changed one bit.

P

phil.gregson

Ah!

The unique Mr Thorne!

I drive past Dartford regularly and was just thinking last week that I should try to locate him and look him up.

Phil

Peter Burgess

The occasion has been immortalised in the records:

Initial christening ceremony 1st June 1988, at:

http://www.wcms.org.uk/pages/u2nl1988_2.shtml#derbyshire_summer1988

Subsequent encounter recorded at:

http://www.wcms.org.uk/pages/u2nl1989_1.shtml#derbyshire_spring1989

If ever a thread deserved to be taken off topic, it's this one....  :coffee:

PS he still lives there with his mum and the cats. I don't think any of them are called Corky. Still as immensely useful a gentleman as ever.

PPS we'd better stop this before the mods tell us to use the chat room for tittle tattle.

P

phil.gregson

Well, thank you Moderator-type-chappies for spliting this off but, to be honest, I think we've finished with it now.

Peter, you have a PM.

Phil

P

phil.gregson

Moi?

A gentleman would never discuss such things in public. I, however................................

Mr Armchair, Sir - Good to re-make your aquaintance.  Another chap I've been meaning to get in touch with on my frequent trips South. (No euphamism intended :eek:)

Phil