The Gold Mines of Merioneth (G W Hall)

Ian Adams

"The Gold Mines of Merioneth" by G W Hall (Circa 1971)

Intriguing.

I have been unable to get a precise date for this publication save that it appears to be slightly later than 1971. This copy bears a signature on the inside title page being ?D.B. ??.? (surname is illegible).  It would be interesting to identify this. Included with this edition is a fold out map attached near the rear as well as properly formatted errata seemingly added in manually later.

Focusing (obviously) on the Gold Mining around Dolgellau, North Wales, this book offers in depth coverage of the gold belt geology, the early philosophies as well as the mining methods (and companies) throughout the phases. Interestingly it also covers the Gold Rush and various frauds over time.

The prose is disciplined and requires presence of mind to read. It is helped significantly by many photographs and map excerpts that are nothing less than a dream for the ?would be? explorer.

Fascinating, informative and wealthy.  The Gold Mines of Merioneth is nothing less than a tome of treasure.

;)

Ian

Attachments

• DSCF4424a.jpg
    DSCF4424a.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 504

mch

Yes, excellent book. I would agree that it is likely to be post-1971 as it states on the dedication page "By the same Author Metal Mines of Southern Wales - 1971". A second edition was published in 1988 which lacks the fold-out map.

royfellows

The second edition is totally different to the first and deals mainly with Gwynfynedd, I think George acted as a consultant in the Mark Weinberg period. Both are well worth having.

Ian Adams

I don't think it is David Bick ....  Here it is ....  :)

Attachments

• DSCF4425a.jpg
    DSCF4425a.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 159

Spires

Hi Ian,
I thought I had got a copy of this book, but when I looked, mine is titled; Goldmining in Western Merioneth - T.A. Morrison (1975). Bought from Bontddu, (Mid Wales) on 30th May 1975, I wrote in the book! Anybody else got a copy?
Cheers,
Paul.

royfellows

I have that one and all 4 George Hall books. He may have written others. Mine are the 2 "Goldmining" the "South Wales" and of course his last "Mines of the 60s". Its 1860s to avoid confusion.
I have all the remaining unsold "Mines of the 60s"

ILT

From the paperback ISBN via https://isbnsearch.org/
Gold Mines of Merioneth
ISBN-13: 9780950211633
ISBN-10: 095021163X
Author: G.W. Hall
Binding: Paperback
Publisher: Griffin Publications
Published: July 1975

If there was a hardback around 1971/2 it would have a (British) SBN but possibly not an ISBN as the ISO only started to adopted our system around then I think.
Not sure if the isbnsearch includes the earlier British numbers

mikem

Possibly D.B.Jefferson?

I doubt it appeared in hardback, not many smaller mining publications did.

Mike

Jenny P

Can't find this in the British Caving Library catalogue so guess we don't have any of the editions.  We don't have that many books on mining and mining history, though we do have some of the 'standards' and also have PDMHS Bulletins, Northern Cavern & Mine Res. Soc. and similar publications.

The signature in the picture could well be D B Jefferson.