Please Help

survival squire

Good Afternoon All

I need to find a (or some) caves in the North (from the Peak District up) or Wales with some rather specific criteria. I have been looking on the internet for hours and hours and I am not getting anywhere so thought you guys may be able to help. The cave needs:

To be 2000ft or higher above sea level
Have areas that doesn't flood no matter the rain
Preferably igneous rock but this is not essential
More than 1 entrance/exit
Access to more than 1 Chamber/Room
Needs to be solid
Not Coastal

I know this is a rather specific list but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Squire

Alex

The nearest I can think of (there are not many caves that are higher than 2,000 foot) is Knockfell caverns, however it falls foul of your multiple entrance requirement as it only has one, but with such stringent requirements beggers can't be chooses as it meets most of the others:

To be 2000ft or higher above sea level - YES i think, it's one of the highest in the UK so if it's not high enough you are out of luck!
Have areas that doesn't flood no matter the rain - YES (The whole cave is flood proof)
Preferably igneous rock but this is not essential - I think so???
More than 1 entrance/exit - NO
Access to more than 1 Chamber/Room - Many, it's 4.5km long.
Needs to be solid - Most of it is, but there are recent reports of collapses according to CNCC.
Not Coastal - There are no coastal caves above 2000ft, otherwise they won't be coastal, we don't have 2000ft high clifts.

https://cncc.org.uk/cave/knock-fell-caverns

Your best bet to find any more is get borrow a copy of the new Northern caves book. (It don't cover wales).

RobinGriffiths

Not fulfilling anything apart from altitude criteria; for interest, Silver Jubilee Pot NY710315 at 768m altitude is highest in England and is 75m long. Documented on P14 o http://nymcc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MSG9.compressed.pdf

langcliffe

Alex said:
The nearest I can think of (there are not many caves that are higher than 2,000 foot) is Knockfell caverns, however it falls foul of your multiple entrance requirement as it only has one, but with such stringent requirements beggers can't be chooses as it meets most of the others:

Preferably igneous rock but this is not essential - I think so???

Knockfell Caverns are formed in sedimentary rocks - Great Scar Limestone.

RobinGriffiths

Oh, and this appears to be highest in UK. Uamh nan Uachdar at 895m.  See page 124 of http://hinko.org/hinko/Dowloads/BCRA/BCRA%2026-3-1999.pdf

2xw

Do we have any igneous caves in the UK? As in, lava tubes?
Anything else would have to be sea caves or wind eroded or mines surely

RobinGriffiths

Some tectonic as well e.g. Windypits.
There's Fingal's Cave in basalt, but I assume that's sea erosion of the basalt columns rather than lava tube.

Just above the 2000' contour, an ascending through trip in solid tuff (a sedimentary rock formed from volcanic ash), but lacking any chambers, Ogof y Cadno appears to be a close match for the specification - and appropriately named for a wild goose chase.

It is described and illustrated in Welsh Mines Society Newsletter 51 [ http://www.hendrecoed.org.uk/wms/newsletter/56.pdf ].

andys

The only ones that come to mind that seem to meet most/all of the criteria are Doves Nest Caves above Combe Gill in the Lakes  (NY253117) : a series of caves formed by a huge rock slip, but better known amongst climbers than cavers.  https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2650#overview

Rock is rhyolite; height is about 500M (so perhaps a little short of the requirement, though they do cover a bit of vertical distance) ; multiple entrances and chambers; not flood prone; not coastal; pretty solid.

PeteHall

JoshW said:
is it a mad question to ask why you need these specific requirements?

Judging by the op's choice of forum name and the criteria listed, I'd speculate it had something to do with surviving a nuclear attack, but may well be wrong...

Perhaps he will enlighten us, but if you find a bunker door on knockfell next time you visit, at least you'll know why!

JoshW

PeteHall said:
JoshW said:
is it a mad question to ask why you need these specific requirements?

Judging by the op's choice of forum name and the criteria listed, I'd speculate it had something to do with surviving a nuclear attack, but may well be wrong...

Perhaps he will enlighten us, but if you find a bunker door on knockfell next time you visit, at least you'll know why!

Wonder if he?s planning on going on the next series of hunted?  :-\  :-\

ChrisJC

I think you are out of luck.
The closest I can think of are the Rhosydd or Croesor quarries near Blaenau Ffestiniog.
But they are at about 550m at their highest point, which is below your 610m requirement. Otherwise they tick all the boxes.

Chris.

Alex

If he is starring on BBC survivors, this is a bad move as I recall they check your internet search history... unless this is to throw them off the scent. But I doubt it's that as the 2000ft high don't make any sense. I think you are right, he is looking for a bunker. The end is nigh!

JoshW

Alex said:
If he is starring on BBC survivors, this is a bad move as I recall they check your internet search history... unless this is to throw them off the scent. But I doubt it's that as the 2000ft high don't make any sense. I think you are right, he is looking for a bunker. The end is nigh!

what's the significance of the 2000 ft high with regards to the end of the world... this is just a very bizarre set of requirements...