Flower pot to Carleswark..How tight is tight..

skippy

...for a slim-average built caver?

Been invited on a through trip tomorrow eve. I've been told the connection is a bit snug...but are we talking desperate that only the thinnest of the thin can pass after removal of kit..or is it OK for the mere mortal caver?
COTPD describes the connection as 'extremely' tight..and when guides mention 'extreme', they usually are.

Rob

It's been a few years since i've been there, but i remember it not being too bad (however there are no squeezes in CoPD I can't do). Maybe a useful way to help is so say what squeezes you can't do.

Also, here's some photos from a trip 10 years ago...

Attachments

• IMG_8484Sm (1).jpg
    IMG_8484Sm (1).jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8491Sm (1).jpg
    IMG_8491Sm (1).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 131

skippy

..Last time I was in Nettle, I couldn't get through Freeze squeeze (Even when I was a spotty youth, I could only get through if I stripped to my underwear)...but it was a half hearted attempt.

However I had no issues in the Rowter Ice cream trail...if I remember correctly though, that's more awkward than tight.

Rob

skippy said:
However I had no issues in the Rowter Ice cream trail...if I remember correctly though, that's more awkward than tight.
Should be reet then  (y)

2xw

Yeah you'll be reet. It's not too bad - I also can't get through freeze squeeze but I can't do flower pot to Carlswark just fine.

The pictures Rob posted, I don't think are actually required for the through trip? At least I don't remember them...

Pipster

2xw said:
Yeah you'll be reet. It's not too bad - I also can't get through freeze squeeze but I can't do flower pot to Carlswark just fine.
Same here...

2xw said:
The pictures Rob posted, I don't think are actually required for the through trip? At least I don't remember them...
Yeah I agree with you; those pics look like Porth Crawl to me (taking you to Picnic Passage etc), which isn't on the route from Flower Pot via Dynamite into Carlswark.... unless you go via the even more awkward Codeine Connection!

skippy

Thanks folks,

thing is I know I'm not a big fella but tight stuff leaves me a little unsettled..Whenever I go into Far country (GG) the return through the Blowhole is always on my mind..even though I've gone through several times with no issues.

stick me on a big pitch or low airspace section any day :)

2xw

skippy said:
Thanks folks,

thing is I know I'm not a big fella but tight stuff leaves me a little unsettled..Whenever I go into Far country (GG) the return through the Blowhole is always on my mind..even though I've gone through several times with no issues.

stick me on a big pitch or low airspace section any day :)

After going down the entrance tube is a flat our crawl on the right, following by another left trending crawl into a chamber. Go left down in the floor in a hole on the left, down a 45 degree rift, at the bottom is a flat out crawl right, on through a tube into the next chamber. This is followed by a squeeze behind a boulder (I always found feet first easier) through a small dogleg wet passage (plank in place to keep you out of water). Follow your nose through this and down a ramp to the next chamber. Turn to the left, walk down it, a hole to the right leads into carlswark proper. Nice trip!

Porth crawl is tighter, and so is codeine connection but not essential.

Rob

Pipster said:
Yeah I agree with you; those pics look like Porth Crawl to me (taking you to Picnic Passage etc), which isn't on the route from Flower Pot via Dynamite into Carlswark.... unless you go via the even more awkward Codeine Connection!
Yup, well done. Those pictures are indeed Porth Crawl. I think I've only ever done the Flower Pot connection that way...  :LOL:

skippy

Great trip..Thanks for the info (y)

Found the snug bits the 'Fun' side of awkward...rather than 'Desperate' side of awkward.

Slight topic shift - Has anyone got any decent pics of the blowhole as its on my trip list but I am definitely on the larger side for cavers!

Alex

Blowhole... I assume you are not that far off topic and asking about the blowhole in GG?

skippy

There is a photo in 'Pitlamps' book of the blowhole....And I have photo's and video..somewhere. I'll try and dig them out of cyberspace and post.
In the meantime, someone else may have some.

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Blow hole

I am 6?3? and 15 stone, I have been unsuccessful in getting through.

I know people who are taller (less girth)who get through and people of a similar ?girth?  (shorter) who get through.

Would be interested to know of anyone with similar dimensions to me who gets through.  The thing that adds to it is apparently its worse on the return  :eek:

skippy

Ian 'P',
It was your vid of James from the other year I was gonna post..Do you still have access to it?

Dave254

If you search for Sid Perou?s video ?the lost river of gaping gill? on YouTube, there is a clip at around 12:10 of the blowhole (if you haven?t  seen the whole video it is well worth watching!)

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
skippy said:
Ian 'P',
It was your vid of James from the other year I was gonna post..Do you still have access to it?

Unfortunately not. I have had a big clear out to make room for new ones !

https://www.facebook.com/paul.mcwhinney.9/posts/10202785603973790

think this should give a flavour of the Blowhole.

(I think it is easier on the way back...)

pwhole

Returning to Dynamite Series, the squeeze behind the boulder onto the plank is one of my 'favourite' squeezes, if that's the right phrase. I've only ever done it head-first through, as I figured the contortion halfway through would be less painful, if more committing, give it's downhill - ulp. The first time I did it, with a large-ish group, most of us were a bit nervous, and it took a good 90 mins to get through, what with folks having panic attacks etc. (including me) The second time we did it, it took 20 mins, which was entirely down to everyone now knowing they could do it, which turned the squeezes into interesting challenges instead of claustrophobic panic-buttons.

The 'best' trip by far though, was in 2010, on a very dry summer Saturday afternoon - going in at Flower Pot, then all the way through to Stalactite Passage and out of the Resurgence Entrance, which was open with about 10cm airspace. We went up to tell John Beck and he made us all a cup of tea he was so chuffed. We did the Resurgence three times that week - one trip in and out that way. It was disgusting, but it just had to be done.