Snake Mine

Gollum

Does anyone know the rope lengths or has anyone got a rigging guide for snake mine. I've done it in the past but it's been so long my old brain has forgot the lengths we used

zomjon

Not too knowledgeable, but main shaft is 250 ft to bottom and 230ft to get off at level with lots to see, climbing shaft is about 30 ft followed by 30/35ft to first level and then 140ft to the 230ft level. Interesting shaft hidden in wood of Hopton Quarry is 180ft and will drop you onto first level again - these are from memory which is rapidly fading, be warned!

mch

About 4 years ago Dan Lay and James Barradale of MCG bolted all the pitches in Snake and produced a rigging guide. I do have a copy as 4 pdfs - I'll try and locate it and post it on here.

mch

Found it - here goes - never posted pdfs on here as opposed to jpegs. Hope it works!

Attachments

• Snake Lead Mine (4).pdf
    255.8 KB · Views: 191

mch

Looks like only 1 of the 4 pdfs is appearing. Ah - think I can see what I've done; hope that this fixes it.

Attachments

• Snake Lead Mine (3).pdf
    235.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Snake Lead Mine (2).pdf
    223.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Snake Lead Mine (1).pdf
    148 KB · Views: 237

pwhole

Ironically I've still never been! But it is on my must-see list, so maybe this summer...

owd git

Jon's memory seems to be intact, though didn't mention past  'the 140 ft' to the chain ladder 40 M. rope. drop no connection to other parts of mine. big shout!!! loose material at window to engine shaft  from bottom 1st pitch climbing route. Enjoy a lovely leadmine. with at least 3 styles of stempling , lots more.
O.G.

AR

Nothing I can add to what's already been posted other than to flag up the security on Middleton Mine - if you park near the gate to the track going up to the Hopton Wood entrance they may come to check you out and make sure you're not about to try and get into the stone mine!