Trying to source a photo of flood-hit Castleton

Pitlamp

On 21st December 1991 the village of Castleton was hit by a massive flood, with the water mainly coming from the Peak Cavern system. I witnessed the event but had no camera with me (typically!)

This is a long shot - but - I'm trying to source a photograph showing the extent of the devastation in the village at the height of the flood and / or a photograph of the maelstrom which came out of Peak Cavern's entrance that day.

If anyone thinks they can can help please would you send a PM?

Thanks.

Scud

John

Shaun Puckering took one and he had it on the old Peak District Caving Website.

I should contact Shaun

Wayne

Mrs Trellis

If it's the one showing the meeting of the Russett Well water and Peakshole water looking upstream from Goosehill Bridge then I have a copy. Iirc it accompanied the Castleton water level feature of the Peak District Caving website .

Pitlamp

Well done RogerW: you've got a better memory than me. The HnH website is no more however, sadly.

Thanks for the offer Mrs Trellis - in fact Shaun has sent me that one directly now.

Does anyone have any images of the general flooding in the village that day? I have memories of the water being up to the window sills at the Three Roofs Cafe at the height of the flood.

Scud

Pitlamp said:
Does anyone have any images of the general flooding in the village that day? I have memories of the water being up to the window sills at the Three Roofs Cafe at the height of the flood.

Message from contact in village, you could try contacting the parish council - as they may have some, or know?

Scud

Pitlamp said:
Well done RogerW: you've got a better memory than me. The HnH website is no more however, sadly.

The Peak District Caving Website is still there, ran by DCA now but Like anything, it needs content adding and with only a few of others working on it and with external factors like work, we can only do so much.