Chelsea SS Website

Chelsea SS have a relatively new website. you can find it here:

http://chelseaspelaeo.org/

We hope its factual and that you can find out about our cottage and our local caves there.

We have also recently gained an imposter website. We did not build this website. Unfortunately we do not organise camps for young prospective athletes (although we might be able to help with Daren camps - available to both young and less young "athletes"), and we don't organise mountaineering competitions or mountain biking events -unless caver games and off-road unicycling counts. We know there are more than 13 caves in Wales too.  If you'd like a giggle, have a look at the website below:

http://www.chelseaspelaeo.org.uk/

If you'd like to come caving with us, or book Whitewalls, please use the top website not the bottom one! the Contact Us section on the bottom one will take you into a deep dark hole of nothingness.

langcliffe

The latter site has some interesting information in it, though:

In England, there are seven caves in Devon, 19 caves in Mendip Hills, ten in Peak District, 55 caves in Yorkshire Dales, and nine in other areas. In Northern Ireland there are six caves, in Scotland are five, and in Wales thirteen.

The fake website is certainly entertaining  ;)

What probably happened was  one of those  companies  that buys up lots of web addresses bought the old address.  Nothing happened to it for ages, then it could be that they auto generated a new website to flog on.

MarkS

"The entrance to Grant?s Cave in the US State of Alabama is 38 feet wide and 7.6 meters high and it is the biggest entrance in the world."

:LOL:

langcliffe

I see that Chelsea has owned the chelsea.org.uk domain name in the past (at least, judging from the number of valid sites that link to it). Presumable they either intentionally or unintentionally allowed it to lapse, and as soon as it became available it was snatched up by someone hoping to make a quick buck.

im not very good on websites etc, but what i believe happened was that you can buy the domain name for soever long, and when this time came, the domain was bought by some computer programme a bit like ebay bidsniper, so quickly that we were not able to renew. whoever bought up the old domain name did want to charge silly money to buy it back - hence the new website.

If anyone reading this just happens to have a website with a link to us on it, i don't suppose you'd mind checking if it goes to the old one, and if so, updating it please?

while the content on there is a source of entertainment, we don't really want to spread misinformation, and i dont think anyone has been brave enough to try the contact us bit.

langcliffe

ogof addict said:
im not very good on websites etc, but what i believe happened was that you can buy the domain name for soever long, and when this time came, the domain was bought by some computer programme a bit like ebay bidsniper, so quickly that we were not able to renew. whoever bought up the old domain name did want to charge silly money to buy it back - hence the new website.

I suspect that you missed out there - you have the automatic right to renew, and you have to try pretty hard to miss the opportunity of doing so. Either that or your contact email address was incorrect. Nominet is the body responsible for administering .uk domain name, and they say:

"If your registrar does not renew your domain name with us before the expiry date, we?ll send an email to the contact email address held against the domain name. The email will contain your registrar?s contact details, so you can contact them about renewing the domain name.

Once you?ve gone over your expiry date, you?ll still have time to renew your domain before it gets cancelled, so there?s no need to panic. But if we don?t receive a renewal request within 30 days of the expiry date, we?ll suspend the domain name. This means all services that use that domain name, such as your website and email, will stop working. We?ll send you a suspension warning seven days before this happens, and will also send you a suspension notice when it takes place, unless your registrar has opted you out of receiving these. It?s still possible to renew your domain during this time.

When your domain has been suspended for 60 days without being renewed, we?ll schedule it for cancellation. We?ll send you one final reminder to renew your domain 83 days after the expiry date. As this is just seven days before your domain is scheduled for cancellation, you?ll have to act quickly if you wish to renew it at this last stage.

Once cancelled, the domain name will become instantly available to others who may wish to re-register it."

Tseralo

You can contact nominet and if you can prove you are Chelsea speleo they may hand the domain over. Ive had to do it in the past when clients previous web hosting company's have tried to hold their domain hostage.

https://www.nominet.uk/domain-support/uk-domain-disputes/ There can be a cost it depends on how good of a case the current owner has and how much they want to push it.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
:confused:
Or as someone who works in Intellectual Property I could send them a cease and desist letter though I got into a whole world of pain when dealing with Dankness Below.

You wanted Dankness Below to cease and desist?

Duncan Price

Badlad said:
You wanted Dankness Below to cease and desist?

No - I like their activities except when it came to ripping off copyright protected material and encouraging others to do so.  Ethel could see where I was coming from.  Personally I'm all for open sharing of caving related material - e.g. cave surveys etc. but others are more precious about it.

shanks

I'm pleased to report that after pursuing the Nominet domain dispute process we finally got chelseaspelaeo.org.uk back from the clutches of the evil/mad/artificial person or persons who were running the fake impostor website, and now it redirects to our genuine website at chelseaspelaeo.org. The moral - never let your domain names expire, always have more than one person with access to the hosting account, and always ensure you keep the domain registrant updated to be the active webmaster, or at least someone who is a club member (and preferably alive!).

Jopo

No - I like their activities except when it came to ripping off copyright protected material and encouraging others to do so. Ethel could see where I was coming from. Personally I'm all for open sharing of caving related material - e.g. cave surveys etc. but others are more precious about it.
My browser warns of possible phishing on the Dankness Below website.

alanw

My browser warns of possible phishing on the Dankness Below website.
It was unregistered for a while, then on the 4th March this year was re-registered by "Media Elite Holding Limited". It's now being cybersquatted, but I'm not going to visit it to see what's there now.