Forum problems

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All

The forum crashed at 1am this morning.  The IT guys have been working to restore it.  It has now been restored to 8.18pm yesterday so only a small data loss.  I'm not sure yet whether everything is working as it should.

We have moved the site back to the UK this week and some software updates are also planned.  We expect the forum to be reliable 24/7 and will be working hard to make sure this happens going forward.

Apologies to all users for the inconvenience. 

Inferus

Shit happens as they say. Only a small loss is good and a timely reminder that having regular backups of databases is a wise move.

Inferus

A quick glance at the forum shows a couple of errors (at the time of posting this message);
Yorkshire appears to have a video rigging thread (it's actually in UK Caving) with a last post date the same as the UK Caving one. Clicking the Yorkshire one just throws up an error.
On the main view (where all forums/boards are listed) Digging and For Sale/Wanted are not showing last post by --, they are just blank.

cap n chris

Something weird's still going on: have posted a reply to the Video: Rigging thread and the Recent Topics listing reads:

Plug and Feathers by Cap'n Chris [new]
Video: rigging by Cap'n Chris [new]
Forum problems by Inferus
Re: Video: rigging by Fulk
etc.etc.

The reference to Plug and Feathers is clearly bigtime weird and on clicking it, you get taken to the Video: rigging thread.
The titles (above) are also weird since Video: rigging is identical to Re: Video: rigging - they are the same thread and yet have different names according to whim.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's not quite right yet.  There are clearly some misconnects to sort.  We may have to suffer them until I can sit down with the IT guys on Monday.  Please let me know the problems you are having.  Apologies again.

martinm

OK, the errors I got yesterday were:-

1. First a message telling me the smf_messages DB table had crashed and the automatic recovery had failed.

2. Later a message telling me there had been a problem connecting to MySQL. (The database software.)

3. Then no new unread topics until this morning.

Today, I have visited the waterfall thread 3 times and it still keeps coming up as unread!

Roger W

Seems to be all working OK for me now, except for the Waterfall Hole problem highlighted by Mel.

"Show unread posts since last visit" shows nothing (as expected, 'cos I've read them all) but then clicking on "Click here to try all unread topics" keeps bringing up the start of the "Help Needed at Waterfall Hole - DCA" thread.

Quick edit - clicking on the "Mark all posts as read" whatnot seems to have solved the problem, in that I don't get Waterfall Hole coming up as unread any more.

Inferus

The missing (blank) sections I mentioned previously have reappeared, but perhaps that's because people have posted in those boards today?  :confused:

I noticed a problem yesterday but fell asleep and never got round to replying. It showed up initially on the home page where recent topics are displayed. After I had posted here I yesterday  somehow (according to recent topics) managed to post in the P8/Eldon/Slitherstones thread at the exact same time. Visiting the Derbyshire board today I see I was the last person to reply the the P8 thread, but viewing said thread shows Jenny P as the last post (I've not posted anything in this thread). Viewing any thread does not remove the "new" graphic..

Going on various other oddities that I've encountered (some mentioned above) it will at least give the IT guys something to stop themselves being bored on Monday  ;)

Technology, don't you just love it....  :mad:

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Folks,

Please do let us know of any issues/problems/anomalies you see on UKC today as hoping to see the IT guys later.

Thanks very much, Jane

...and Inferus, re loving technology?  ....  No!!  ;)

AR

From what I've seen, the problems seem to be all around the home page. I too kept getting sent to the wrong thread from homepage links, but I had no problems if I opened the same thread from the relevant forum page.

bograt

Seems to be a problem with the 'Waterfall Hole - help needed' thread in Derbyshire section, a couple of fresh posts missing and does not cancel the 'new' tag when read.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone, all really helpful  (y)

Am just back home from a meeting with the IT guys - they are on it and are working through all issues you flag up.

We're doing everything required to ensure UKC runs smoothly going forward, however there may be some teething problems along the way, please bare with us - thanks so much  :)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
A few more problems with the forum today.  A crash this morning, then the hosting company put up a two day old version for a short time while a better fix was found.  This is now running on what we hope will be the final host site. We'll see and let us know if you experience any problems.  Apologies for the inconvenience.

Antwan

I've always been a bit sceptical about hosting site like this and company database services with multiple simultaneous users on 'cloud' tech. Fingers crossed its plain sailing from here on.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The tapatalk plugin has been updated to the latest version as far as I know.  This could be part of the problem I'll check.