Do you get sick of how this forum looks?

bubba

Administrator
I know I do - after a while I just want a change of colours, I get sick of looking at that same light-blue all the time.

One solution would be to offer different forum themes. This is the most thorough solution but it makes installing forum extensions and performing forum upgrades a potential nightmare, though with SMF 2.0 this might change.

Anyway, in the meantime, if you use Firefox, there is a great solution:

Install the "Stylish" extension

Now you can skin any website just how you want it. You'll need some basic knowledge of CSS.

I've changed the default forum look as follows:

before
3163058170_dcbb12f138.jpg

after
3163058120_acaa3a66c9.jpg

You can install this style into stylish from here.

If you come up with some nice styles, please upload them to userstyles.org so we can all try them out :)

Stylish can be used for more than just changing colours though, you can hide parts of websites, or even re-organise the way they look completely. On userstyles.org there's loads of pre-made styles for popular sites like facebook, youtube, etc.

I'm using this youtube one.

bubba

Administrator
Glad some of you have checked it out.

It only took about 20 minutes of work so you could do a much more complete job with more time. One useful one would be a really minimal black and white one with no frills for those who want to use the site in a strict workplace.

Opera users can also use the styles, though obviously not via the firefox extension.

One side-effect I've noticed is that it also changes the background colour of the wiki. I know why this and I'll try to find a fix...

bubba

Administrator
Solved the wiki problem - you can automatically update the script by going to the original install link posted above and selecting the "update in stylish" button.