Survex - No 'Process' option

SamT

Can anyone shed any light on why I'm not getting the option to 'process' when I right click on a .svx file.

I've tried re-installing the latest version of survex.

When I double click, it opens in Notepad like a .txt file. however a right click give no option to process.

I'm on windows 10, any clues??  :confused:

SamT

So, I've just sparked up an old laptop, and this is working fine (also win 10) . and I've noticed that the .svx file icon does not have the little numbers on it and to the right - its labelled as a 'SVX File' rather than 'Survex Raw Survey Data' so I'm sure this is the root of the problem.

i.e. its to do with 'File associations'

I've uninstalled suvex and re-installed to no avail. 
Also, FWIW - .3d files open in aven, and have the little suunto compass icon, and have the expected options when I right click, so its only the .svx files that seem to be missing the file association.

So frustrating.  o_O

peterk

I may have misunderstood what you've written but are you saying that if you right click on a suvex data file in Explorer there is no option of "Open with" that enables you to navigate to the survex exe and make that selection the default program?

MarkS

I think another way to process the data is to open aven, then drag the survex file on to the aven window.

SamT

peterk said:
I may have misunderstood what you've written but are you saying that if you right click on a suvex data file in Explorer there is no option of "Open with" that enables you to navigate to the survex exe and make that selection the default program?

Normally when you right click a .svx file, you get the option to process. That is not there.

I can see the 'open with' option, if I click that, I can choose the program that you should open it with by navigating to C:\Program files (x86)\Survex  but which exe to choose.  And besides, its not a question of 'opening' the file, which you'd normally do with notepad to edit the data, its a question of having an option to process the file.

MarkS said:
OK - cheers - I'll try that..

Thanks for your replies by the way -  (y)
I think another way to process the data is to open aven, then drag the survex file on to the aven window.

Pie Muncher

I had exactly the same problem a year ago. Julian Todd got it working through the drop down menu option to exe. But he's a techno wiz.
I have since got a new computer and loaded survex a fresh and copied the files over. All working fine now. Not suggesting you get a new computer just that someone else has had the same problem.

SamT

I was hoping that an un-install and re-install of Survex  would have sorted it, but no joy.

I can just use my older laptop for the time being I guess, I just hate losing half an evening of precious time, pissing about trying to get windows or some other bit of tech to work properly.

Frigging tech...  o_O

peterk

*.svx files should be associated with editwrap.exe which I would expect to be at C:\Program Files (x86)\Survex.
You can set or change the file associations either by:
In explorer right click on a survex raw survey data file (*.svx) select Properties and on the General tab you will see a opens with "Change" button.
or
Through Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program.  You can get to the same place by searching from the desktop for "file association" which should give you a "Change the file type associated with a file extension" suggestion.

Here's a tutorial http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-file-associations-windows

SamT

Yep - I know how to alter file associations. Pretty sure I had .svx associated to Editwrap, but I'll check when I get home. ta

Rob

Sam, i'm getting the same issue since a new Windows 10 install. Did you fix it?

I can't find editwrap.exe to point the .svx towards. Does anyone know if the "process" application has changed name?

pwhole

I'm on Windows 10 (64 bit)  and just tried right-clicking a .svx file and the 'Process' option is there for me.

Cassidy

I've had the same problem Sam. I managed to get the process option to appear after associating the notepad file (saved as a .svx file) with editwrap.
The problem i now have is that when i hit process, Aven opens up with nothing in it and i don't get the other files (the actual processed ones or the .err files) appearing like they used to.
Any ideas anyone?