DistoX2 - where can I get one?

Duncan S

I'm starting to get enthused about cave surveying and would very much like to purchase a DistoX2.
Is there a one-stop-shop for buying an upgraded X310 and batteries?
I suspect the answer is no...

There are posts indicating the latest X310 is not compatible with the X2 upgrade kit, which could be a problem.
Buying an upgraded unit would seem preferable to buying an X310, upgrade kit and hoping for the best.

Maybe the answer is to buy a used model.
Is anyone looking to sell their DistoX2?

SamT

Care to share the outcome with the world??

This thread piqued my interest as its something I might one day be interested in.

No worries if there is a valid reason for keeping it private.

Duncan S

SamT said:
Care to share the outcome with the world??

This thread piqued my interest as its something I might one day be interested in.

No worries if there is a valid reason for keeping it private.
Alastair knows someone that has previously built DistoX2 on request.
I've PM'd them to find out if they can help.

Meanwhile - if someone has a DistoX2 gathering dust in a cupboard and would like to pass it on to a good home, please PM me!

alastairgott

I am sure there are many others that are able to build, but I only know Ben. I think he's done most of the building of Disto's for CHECC, ULSA (for [somewhere in?] Yorkshire resurveying project) and quite a few Derbyshire and Yorkshire cavers.

I included a bit of waffle about Duncan meeting him in the hunters last Thursday. and that I rent a room in Ben's house.

Ben can be contacted on here (Benfool), but I didn't want to advertise for him, cos his mother was a hamster and his father smells of Elderberrys.

If there's any other people who can also make them, it would be good to mention them as well, for balance, I guess.

I got my x310 (aka 7400) for about $179 (US currency) on ebay by waiting for a sale. The unit I got had clearly been sitting on a shelf in some store based on the 0.25 inches of dust on the packaging. LiPo battery was easy to order in the US so I can't help with that. Assembly wasn't too bad as long as you had the T5 (I think!?) torx driver which I had to order off amazon in order to do the assembly. 

Duncan S

YAY - sorted!
Ben has been in touch with Beat and the problems with the latest X310 have been sorted out. He is prepared to source the parts and build me a DistoX2.
Flippin brilliant!!!!!

Benfool

I've just heard back from Beat - the issue with the newer laser module in the x310 not being compatible with the distox2 board has now been fixed. All that is required is a firmware update then it should work fine.

Not sure if there are any batteries in the country at the minute. So unless anybody knows differently I will order a batch.

B

Duncan S

Cheers Ben - I'll be happy to keep your glass topped up in the Hunters for quite a while off the back of this!
Talked with Sarah while digging yesterday about my desire to get a Disto and she sounded really positive. She says I have the right sort of mind to understand and use it effectively and it will be a real asset for our dig and other digs in the area.
I'm really looking forward to putting the Disto to work!

Duncan S

@Benfool Many thanks for building my DistoX2 :)
It has worked flawlessly.

I've just finished my first full cave survey - Sludge Pit in Mendip
7 sessions with your Disto, and one by Andrew Atkinson
I hadn't quite realised the size and complexity when I started the survey. Originally all I intended doing was to tie Andrew's survey of the two main digs together and survey back to the entrance. But the mission grew once people started asking questions like how the main rift related to the digs. At some point it just seemed like a good idea to finish the job :)

Here's a Therion animation of the survey for your amusement.
http://www.wild-landscapes.co.uk/Other/2016/Misc/n-CwdfGW/i-9R5sVxw/A

and a screenshot from Therion
i-hw9F4sL-XL.jpg

Duncan S

PeteHall said:
Looks like there's a bit missing Duncan  ;)
Don't you start!  :LOL:

It's already been pointed out that the Aragonite section is a bit on the light side and really needs re-surveying. The rift carries on downstream for quite a bit longer than shown and there are side passages we didn't go into.
It was only my second time out with the Disto and I hadn't worked out how to sensibly shoot splays in a complex vertical rift or figured out how to sketch as I went along.
I would do it very differently now!
Also - when we did that survey we were only tying in the dig locations relative to each other so completeness wasn't a priority.
We weren't expecting to survey the whole cave - hey ho!

footleg

I've been building DiztoX2s this year since  I ordered 20 batteries back in January. Only one left now. Just posting on this thread in case someone is looking for a one stop shop to get a DistoX2. I have a Disto X310 and battery ready if someone is looking for one. Just PM me.

Rob

Duncan S said:
.... Is anyone looking to sell their DistoX2?

You've probably seen, but there's plenty new on eBay for ~?140:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEICA-Disto-X310-Water-Proof-120m-393ft-Laser-Digital-Distance-Tape-Measure/291820251846

However it seems they hold their value well so 2nd hand seems to be only ?10-20 cheaper!