NAMHO 2021

Fulk

Chaos reigns here as we try to get all our camping kit, caving kit and food (oh ? and wine) ready! (Not to mention the lost map.)

tomferry

I am their Saturday Cambrian mine upper road parking in the morning then pontesford colliery surface walk afternoon anyone on any of them ?

ChrisJC

I will be loading up my Landie tomorrow.

I also will be the only attendee who has got a haircut and had a shave especially for the event.

Chris.

royfellows

I'm afraid I will only be driving to Cambrian each day to lead trips. I note old and new friends on my trips though, so looking forward to it.
Frankly I am pissed off to death with masks which make me itch and all the other stuff, hence my limited participation. Would bet that I am not on my own here.

ttxela2

Down and beyond said:
I am their Saturday Cambrian mine upper road parking in the morning then pontesford colliery surface walk afternoon anyone on any of them ?

I'm on the Saturday Morning Cambrian trip.

I'm staying at the Old School Campsite.

ttxela2

royfellows said:
I'm afraid I will only be driving to Cambrian each day to lead trips. I note old and new friends on my trips though, so looking forward to it.
Frankly I am pissed off to death with masks which make me itch and all the other stuff, hence my limited participation. Would bet that I am not on my own here.

I have to wear one all day every day at work. Will be very pleased when it's no longer required but our Co. are currently saying they are probably going to keep the requirement in place at work even if it's lifted nationally  :unsure:

PeteHall

ttxela2 said:
royfellows said:

I have to wear one all day every day at work. Will be very pleased when it's no longer required but our Co. are currently saying they are probably going to keep the requirement in place at work even if it's lifted nationally  :unsure:

If my work suggested such a thing, I'd tell them politely where to shove it.

In the meantime Roy, an itchy face seems fair grounds for exemption, if you want to pander to the rules, or just don't bother; certainly around here nobody gives the slightest toss about it any more (though I do keep a Buff in the car for the rare occasions where one is still requested  :halo: )

tomferry

Hello everyone do I have to where one on underground and surface trips ?  Because I am not exempt via having facial hair so kind of doesn?t work  :halo:

tomferry

ttxela2 said:
Down and beyond said:

I'm on the Saturday Morning Cambrian trip.

I'm staying at the Old School Campsite.

Am in the wife?s white  bmw this time so you shall see me mate  (y)

Speleofish

Following on from Pete Hall. The latest research from Addenbrookes (Cambridge) suggests that normal hospital masks are no good (ie about as good as a cloth mask, a buff or even a scarf). The implication is that the plastic face shields (which would be much more user friendly if they didn't fog up) are just as good. If you have a beard, and you have to wear a mask, I'd go for a face shield or a buff. Or invent a medical/psychological reason for not doing so - wouldn't 'I'm a caver/mine explorer' be sufficient excuse? Everyone thinks we're mad anyway - how much worse can it get?

moorebooks

Speleofish said:
Following on from Pete Hall. The latest research from Addenbrookes (Cambridge) suggests that normal hospital masks are no good (ie about as good as a cloth mask, a buff or even a scarf). The implication is that the plastic face shields (which would be much more user friendly if they didn't fog up) are just as good. If you have a beard, and you have to wear a mask, I'd go for a face shield or a buff. Or invent a medical/psychological reason for not doing so - wouldn't 'I'm a caver/mine explorer' be sufficient excuse? Everyone thinks we're mad anyway - how much worse can it get?

I think you have this wrong the mask is to protect other people from your breath not the other way round. If you want protection you need the better mask

As for NAMHO - the Guides can refuse to take you on trips unless there is an exemption . Bear in mind its to protect someonelse from you not the other way round

Mike

tomferry

Thanks Mike  I will happily wear one to keep the peace !

Sounds more easy going to wear a mask ,  than what I am use to mine exploring here in the East Midlands  :dig:

moorebooks

Down and beyond said:
Thanks Mike  I will happily wear one to keep the peace !

Sounds more easy going to wear a mask ,  than what I am use to mine exploring here in the East Midlands  :dig:

Its not to keep the peace but remain in line with the guideliness. The walks are outdoors thats not a problem. This is an organised event and NAMHO as a National Orgnisation has a duty of care. Otherwise this event like many could have been cancelled, by following the guidelines  the event is able to go ahead. Some things have obviously been dropped like the social evenings, accommodation and catering Ultimately its being kind to one another , the D varient is on the increase and unfortunately people do and have suffered. 

Speleofish

I stick broadly to what I've said in the past (though the evidence has changed, so I may have moved the emphasis). The reality is that simple masks are of very limited use (whether to protect you or the people around you). FFP3 masks will protect you from virus in the atmosphere. FFP2 masks may do so too, but probably less well.

I haven't seen anything that talks about how to keep the viruses you're shedding from reaching your compatriots. It should make sense that high level masks should be better than cheap ones until you think about the way that they supposedly work. At this point, it gets a bit difficult....

ChrisJC

At the end of the day, it is the guidelines that we have to follow. Whether the science is watertight or not doesn't really matter.

So I shall not worry at all, just do what I am told.  ;)

Chris.